Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Semi Private question

Options
  • 29-05-2012 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hi All,

We are TTC, unfortunately couple of months back I had an early miscarriage at 5 weeks. We had decided to go semi private then. We are trying again now, and hopefully it is positive this time :)

I am wondering, if I go semi private and God forbid I miscarry early, would the hospitals refund the fees? As I was asked to pay upfront on first appointment.

Just want to understand how it works.
    Any reply is highly appreciated.

Thank you very much.
    Regards

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

From my research and the experience of friends/family it's not worth paying for semi-private in a public hospital, you will pretty much get the same care as a public patient.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

You would have to talk to the hospital.

Squiggler - from my experience and from friends and family it is well worth paying for semi private.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭kknitter

Thank you Squiggler and Moonbeam for your replies.
    Well, stories I heard people say waiting time in Public is too long. hence was leaning towards semi-private.
    I am still considering public though.

Thanks you once again.

Moonbeam, that's interesting. Just goes to show how varied the experience women have can be, even in the same hospital.

My sis paid for semi-private on number one, ended up in a 6 bed labour ward and had a dreadful experience.

Number two she went public, ended up in a private labour ward and had a much better time of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

It depends on the hospital. For Holles Street on my second pregnancy I was due to pay 900e in three instalments of 300e. I paid my first 300e on the first visit, doc turned on the machine, no heartbeat. I had to have two scans afterwards, one to make sure there was no heartbeat and the second after I had taken the tablets to make sure there was no tissue left. They refunded me the 300e, less the cost of the 2 scans, it was only something small.

So, if I'd paid the full 900, I would have got whatever was left over after paying for the 2 scans.

Squiggler, with semi private, you will always end up on the labour ward with everyone else. I'm surprised the private patients don't end up there too? Where do they go? I doubt any hospital has the space to have semi private labour wards and public ones? The other sister must have been very lucky.

I would always go semi private, just for the post natal wards. Of course its a gamble you take, there may be no beds, but it's a gamble worth taking I feel.

• Advertisement

Squiggler, with semi private, you will always end up on the labour ward with everyone else. I'm surprised the private patients don't end up there too? Where do they go? I doubt any hospital has the space to have semi private labour wards and public ones? The other sister must have been very lucky.

I would always go semi private, just for the post natal wards. Of course its a gamble you take, there may be no beds, but it's a gamble worth taking I feel.

Wasn't a Dublin Hospital and their semi-private package included private labour suite if available. Guess it must vary from hospital to hospital, like so many other things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Squiggler wrote: »

Wasn't a Dublin Hospital and their semi-private package included private labour suite if available. Guess it must vary from hospital to hospital, like so many other things.

We're really getting stung in the big smoke so.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭cch

I went semi-private in the Coombe and they only sent the bill out after my 12 week appointment. The next time I was in I went to the fees "office" (it's tiny!) and asked could I pay in installments, she answered "Sure, how much do you want to give me today?" :D
    As long as it was all paid by my due date they were happy.

I would like to go to Rotunda and most probably semi private, they had asked me pay all 1300 when I have my first appointment. I guess I will have to ask them if I could pay in installments?

Thank you all for your replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭emmabrighton

Hi Kknitter,

I went semi-private/shared care in Mount Carmel because I was going to be working in a different county so chose to see the GP there so I wouldnt have to take as much time off work.

This is all well and good for a complication-free pregnancy and mine was that way until 22wks but in the last 2 weeks I have had to fork out A LOT more money as I had a pprom discovered at my anomaly scan. I will now have an appointment with my consultant and a scan every two weeks also. These are not part of the package so I will have to pay for these myself. So even if I don't have a premature baby it looks like this is going to cost me far more than the private option would have.

One other point is that I have visited the Rotunda 3 times this week and was referred to Prof. Malone. I was seen very quickly by him and had two scans during his public appointments and was seen within 20 minutes each time. So, the waiting times for me have not been an issue.

Where as in MC I have been forgotten about twice - which meant a 2hr wait on each occasion. Not sure if waiting times are actually reduced by going private anymore!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

TBH I'm going public in the Rotunda and haven't been waiting at all for appointments, I know people who are attending the Semi-p clinic and have had longer waiting times then I had. I just make sure I'm there 20 mins before my appt. and I've (so far) been 1,2 or 3 on the list.

Thank you GemmaBrighton and Ginny. Your replies are really helpful.... I see then going public wont be an issue as well :)

Really appreciate all your help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Jem123

I went semi private in the Rotunda last year. I had to pay €1200 booking fee on my first visit. The majority of the time I would be in and out very quickly for appointments and I was on a ward of 4 when baby came. Definitely worth the money!

Advertisement