Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Portfolio Course: IADT or LSAD?

Options
  • 29-05-2012 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi everyone..anyone..?
    I'm just finishing up 5th year, hoping to do a Summer Portfolio Course for Art college next year, as I don't want to take an entire year out to do a portfolio. :/

I'm trying to decide between LSAD and IADT's summer courses, both two weeks long, but I don't have any idea if they're good..

Has anyone gone to either of these courses? Could you please offer some feedback? Or if anyones gone to any other course they'd reccomend?

Thanks! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

I went to IADT ones a few years back- once for portfolio prep and once for film production.
    I thought it was great, learnt a lot and I got a decent portfolio out of it. My advice would be decide on a portfolio theme before you arive so you don't waste time in the course.
    I did the summer course and my friend did the evening once during the year. Both of us got into NCAD straight from school :)

(also the film one is great, got me a place on a very good plc as a back up if I didn't get NCAD)

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Blue_Seas

Wow this is weird.. I'm looking in to the same thing too! What do you mean by portfolio theme? I was just going to do the NCAD one.. do you mean pick your objects that you'll be drawing and stuff? Like the "second skin" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

Blue_Seas wrote: »
    Wow this is weird.. I'm looking in to the same thing too! What do you mean by portfolio theme? I was just going to do the NCAD one.. do you mean pick your objects that you'll be drawing and stuff? Like the "second skin" ?

Theme meaning the general theme running through your portfolio. Mine was alice in wonderland, I drew tea sets, rabbit skulls, cats etc. A lot of people choose things like "natural world/inside/mechanics" etc, I just wanted something different (at that stage people weren't doing alice in wonderland left right and centre like now). Theme isn't neccessary but it can help pull your portfolio all together.

NCAD one is good too I hear, def helps to do the portfolio course from the college you most want to apply to imo, you can get to know the college and get a feel for if it's for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 dillonbrannick

bubblefett wrote: »
    def helps to do the portfolio course from the college you most want to apply to imo, you can get to know the college and get a feel for if it's for you.
    I second this.

I did an one for animation last summer in IADT, I would like to point out that on the animation one, I found it very good to get to know animation and such, but as for filling your Portfolio, you'll still need to do a lot of work, do not expect to be able to complete a portfolio in a two week course. About the course It was good, we did one day of life drawing, which ended up in my portfolio(not all of it but some), We did some animation which I added to animation I had already done and ones I did after and made a demo reel. And also we did a storyboard which I later refined and put into my portfolio. I got Full Marks for animation but honestly I would say the 2 weeks helped but it wasn't the main reason I did well, I didn't do art in school so I started a Saturday portfolio class in October of 5th year and that was what really helped.
    Although I still think it was definitely worth it, as those life drawings were an important part of my portfolio. I think do it if you want to and it'll help, but I'd say choose the college either easiest to get to or the one you want to apply for as your number one choice.

Remember I'm only talking about their animation portfolio course not their general one, which I'm not sure what it is like.

As far as them goes it'll kinda come together like if you have a drawing that you like, develop the ideas around that and in turn you are creating a bit of a theme. Mine didn't really have an overall theme, more of a story for each developed idea.

Hoped that helped a little, kinda long winded. Just thinking on it a bit more, I think the course was nearly essential, I wouldn't have gotten some of the aspects like the life drawing done if I had not of done it then. Also it helps you to get to know the college and see if you'd really like to go there. Also the people are nice in IADT.
    okay I'm done

Advertisement