Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Club membership in Cork City

Options
  • 29-05-2012 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭

I am looking to join a club in/near Cork City. I am OK with a one-off joining fee but €5-7k is the upper limit of what I will pay. Can anyone suggest some good options?

I understand that Fota and Cork Golf Club are both €7k ish joinng and €1,300 per year sub. I have also heard that Douglas is €15k joining and €1,350 per year sub. Can anyone confirm these figures?

Anyone know how much Lee Valley is? Any other options?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭U.P.O.

Lee Valley was only €300 joining fee last year, think its free this year. Annual sub is about €1200 - 1300 then (€25 per week).

Blarney is free too with just a €1200 annual fee as far as i know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Flipper

Thanks for the info. Anyone know about Muskerry?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭bailey99

I contacted all the clubs in Cork to see about membership. Hello money and annual subs are below.

Bandon: No hello money & sub €1069 includes €50 bar credit
    Bantry Bay: No hello money & sub €670
    Blarney: No hello money & sub €1,200 includes €240 bar credit & membership of leisure centre
    Castlemartyr: €2,500 entrance fee & annual sub of €1,000
    Charleville: No hello money & sub €485 includes €50 bar credit
    Cobh: No hello money & sub €790
    Doneraile: €500 hello money & sub €350
    Douglas: €14,000 hello money & sub €1,318
    Fermoy: No Response from club despite several enquiries
    Fota Island: €5,000 hello money & sub €1,899
    Kinsale: No hello money & sub €1,200
    Lee Valley: No hello money & sub €1,200
    Macroom: No hello money & sub €795 includes €100 bar credit
    Mahon: Closed for membership
    Mallow: €1,000 hello money & sub €924 includes €50 bar credit
    Mitchelstown: No hello money & sub €680
    Monkstown: €2,980 hello money, €1,000 refundable loan to the club & sub €1,490
    Muskerry: €1,050 hello money & sub €1,310
    Raffeen Creek: No hello money & sub €594 includes membership of Pfizer Sports Club
    Youghal: No hello money & sub €790 includes €50 bar credit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Flipper

Really helpful Bailey, thanks for doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,149 ✭✭✭big_drive

With the money you have availible you have a lot of options. Which side of the city would suit you most?

• Advertisement

there's a real shortage of good courses at affordable prices round Cork City in fairness. Douglas, fota and Monkstown all asking sizeable hello money.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭elberry

Cork Golf Club isn't on your list Bailey, whats there entry charges. Looking at that list Douglas figures are way out of line with reality. Kinsale looks like reasonably decent value, even though I hear they are up to their eyes in debt. Whats the course in Cobh like and are they managing their costs for the new 18?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭elberry

bailey99 wrote: »
    there's a real shortage of good courses at affordable prices round Cork City in fairness. Douglas, fota and Monkstown all asking sizeable hello money.
    I wouldn't include Monsktown in the category of good courses, and Douglas is a pleasant track but nothing special, its location is whats going for it. Cork has a shortage of good courses at any price.

cork golf club was 12k hello money if my memory is correct and the sub was around the 1300euro a year mark.

Monkstown, Douglas, Cork (bar a couple of holes) all very average I agreed but given location and the lack of good quality alternatives except Fota, they are the best in Cork City and suburbs by some distance!

I see in the Examiner this week that Lee Valley is now €92 per month. Pretty good value I think. Was talking to a member few months ago and he said it can be hard to get a decent time on the timesheet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

big_drive wrote: »
    I see in the Examiner this week that Lee Valley is now €92 per month. Pretty good value I think. Was talking to a member few months ago and he said it can be hard to get a decent time on the timesheet.

What's included for the €92, do you get anything for the bar? That's €1,104 a month.

Currently I am paying €100 a month for Blarney including Gym and Pool and get €20 a month back towards the bar/restaraunt so really it works out at €960 for the year and have a gym and pool.

Like the Lee Valley course though.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Reganovski

Any word on Castlemartyr? I emailed them and got details on 2012. I subsequently emailed the club pro and got no response.

Castlemartyr €1,000 sub + €5,000 entrance

Can also be done as follows to spread entrance fee:

€1,000 sub + €2,500 in year 1
    €1,000 sub + €2,500 in year 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

ssbob wrote: »
    What's included for the €92, do you get anything for the bar? That's €1,104 a month.

Currently I am paying €100 a month for Blarney including Gym and Pool and get €20 a month back towards the bar/restaraunt so really it works out at €960 for the year and have a gym and pool.

Like the Lee Valley course though.

In fairness that's a good deal!
    Fermoy haven't published their subs yet for next year but it was 599 for first time members this year and 860 for existing members. War over it amongst the locals there

Castlemartyr €1,000 sub + €5,000 entrance

Can also be done as follows to spread entrance fee:

€1,000 sub + €2,500 in year 1
    €1,000 sub + €2,500 in year 2

That's the official version....I've heard different from a member

Ok. That's what I got when I emailed about it. Were members saying a better deal could be had?

Ok. That's what I got when I emailed about it. Were members saying a better deal could be had?

So a while back I heard directly from the Pro that the entrance would be halved if proposed by 2 members.
    I then played with a member one day and he said they also had the option to pay just the sub year 1 & 2 and then in year 3 you'd have to pay the entrance fee. Not sure whether this is the case though but I had no reason not to believe him.

I guess if they just charge the sub it's a guaranteed €1,000 for the accounts and that's all that matters these days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭wilfitz

I'm moving to Fermoy soon and looking to join a golf club. Don't want to travel too far for my golf so it's either Fermoy or Mitchelstown! I'll prob play both but any advice here would be appreciated. No hello money is good seen as I paid it in my current club. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭murphdogg11

Cobh is excellent value now. A very good course with quality greens.

• Advertisement

Something like €800 now in cobh is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭paulos53

Yes, €790 for Cobh. The joining fee was removed last month

Something like €800 now in cobh is it?

€790 for Cobh now and no signing on fee. You can also pay €70 a month if you wish.
    I'm seriously thinking of joining as I like the course. Just waiting to hear to final version of membership for Castlemartyr.

€70 a month is decent value in fairness. One thing I've heard about Cobh is that scoring can be crazy there. Often standard scratch can be 38 points so makes it difficult to get cut

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭juansheet

70 euro a month for Cobh is v reasonable. Played there today and found the greens v sandy ? Are they like this all year round?

Lots of clubs were sandy on the greens over the past few weeks doing hollow tining, etc. most getting right at this stage though.

Played Cobh about 3 weeks ago. It would be good value for €70. I find it very exposed though, the wind the day we played was unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

Lots of clubs were sandy on the greens over the past few weeks doing hollow tining, etc. most getting right at this stage though.

By now they should all be finished as this is peak season with inter-clubs etc happening!

Cobh is a real nice course I think but needs a bit of maturity!

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭normanbond

Any good deals in Cork or munster counties for annual membership?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭U.P.O.

normanbond wrote: »
    Any good deals in Cork or munster counties for annual membership?

Muskerry have a deal at the moment for new members who are under 35

Year 1 - €520
    Year 2 - €700
    Year 3 - €900

New members over 35 is €800 for Year one.

Think the annual sub is about €1300 normally but will come down if they get enough new members i think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

About €450 in Macroom for the year

Advertisement