Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

YOGA or Pilates

Options
  • 29-05-2012 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

ok basically im a big lad, rugby player fit enough but lately ive notice my flexibility is very poor. im very strong weight wise and good cardio wise but flexibility is really letting me down. so which is better for me Yoga or Pilates and anywhere at reasonable prices in south dublin ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 SaraYoga

I would say yoga. Not because I teach yoga, but there is greater focus on flexibility.
    I like pilates a lot, but it's central focus is core strength and alignment, which is important for stretching but stretching is the main goal in pilates. Depending on the yoga class, you can get really deep into mobilizing the hip sockets, which is where the trouble lies for lots of people, especially athletes in field sports like soccer, rugby, etc.
    I live in Clare, so don'r know Dublin real well but I can highly recommend Yoga Rathmines. Don't know if that's close.
    Sara

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭sandra_b

I think it really depends on the person. I have tried both and I find Pilates suits me much better, I enjoy the class. I liked Yoga as well, but not as much. I don’t care what is “better for me” in theory, the only thing that matters is how I feel. And I look forward for each Pilates class. I love it.
    So, try both and you’ll see. Check deals sites (groupon, pigsback), there are always special offers to buy 5-6 trial classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mysorestyle

There are definitely benefits to be had from both but I would agree with Sara. Pilates does seem to focus more on core-strength.

That said, if you do fel like trying Pilates I would recommend contacting Sarah Lloyd (http://www.sarahlloydnmt.com/) in Baggot Street

Also it depends on what you're after. There are lots of different types of Yoga so it depends if you want something that's passive/restorative or more dynamic and physically demanding. Yoga Ireland have a good piece on their website about the different yoga styles (http://yogaholidays.net/magazine/choosing.htm)

Myself and my wife run Ashtanga Yoga classes every morning in Ballsbridge and beginers are very welcome. I'm not sure if you're a morning person but have a look at our site anyway and see what you think. http://mysorestyle.ie/

Ashtanga Yoga tends to suit more active/fit people as it can be more of a physical challenge than many other styles of yoga. We get a lot of cyclists/runners/pilates teachers in our classes (and also non-athletic people too). Definitely being strong will be an advantage as there is a lot of stregth required to do some of the poses. Although, the strong people tend to wish they were more flexible and the flexible people wish they were stronger. Balance is always the hardest thing.

If you have any more questions about yoga in general we can probably point you in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 john2984

I'm also trying to decide between Yoga and Pilates at the moment so no point in starting a new thread. The main reason I'm taking up either class is to manage lower back pain which has kept me out of playing football for quite a while. Would I be right in saying that Pilates would be more effective as it focuses more on core strength? (it's the QL muscle in my lower back so core strength would help it). Thanks.

That depends.... Pilates is great for core strength and stability. I am a yoga teacher but I do a lot of pilates movements to stabilize my hyper mobile SI joint.
    However, if you are specifically trying to strengthen the back lines of the body (like QL), small muscular yoga backends like Cobra pose might be just the ticket. I am not seeking to diagnose or cure you without having seen you! :-) Just a thought....
    Do keep us posted, I curious which practice you guys choose and what the results are!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Footy101

SaraYoga wrote: »
    That depends.... Pilates is great for core strength and stability. I am a yoga teacher but I do a lot of pilates movements to stabilize my hyper mobile SI joint.
    However, if you are specifically trying to strengthen the back lines of the body (like QL), small muscular yoga backends like Cobra pose might be just the ticket. I am not seeking to diagnose or cure you without having seen you! :-) Just a thought....
    Do keep us posted, I curious which practice you guys choose and what the results are!

I'm a 30 year old male, play football etc. recently my Achilles in both legs have been giving me trouble so much do that it is uncomfortable to run on. Can yoga (or pilates) help with this problem?? Thanks

Footy101 wrote: »
    I'm a 30 year old male, play football etc. recently my Achilles in both legs have been giving me trouble so much do that it is uncomfortable to run on. Can yoga (or pilates) help with this problem?? Thanks

I would go with yoga definitely in this case. Sounds like maybe your calves and hamstrings are tight? I would focus on really getting the most out of Downward Dog. You can Google this pose and zillion pics will come up!
    First keep your spine long and neutral and only then go into stretching the back of the legs. Don't try to get your heels on the mat, just open the back of your legs more and more over time. Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭JimboJones99

Hi,

Didn't think there was any point in starting a new thread as my question is essentially the same.

I am a GAA player and for the past couple of years I have had a lot of problems with my hips, groins and hamstrings as well as having very little flexibility. I want to do either yoga or pilates during the off season so I can try and reduce the problems for next year.

I have spoken to a few people about which of yoga or pilates would be more suitable for me and the response is halved leaving me none the wiser. Any response would be great. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭bonzo_k

Try both and see which you prefer. A lot of classes will allow you to do a drop in. It really is a case of horses for courses.

I have practiced ashtanga yoga more or less daily for 15 years and I still love it. I have tried one or two pilates classes but I personally felt ashtanga yoga is a more rounded workout in terms of breath work, strength and flexibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,259 ✭✭✭✭fits

An awful lot depends on the teacher. Try both and go with what suits. I find Pilates much more beneficial for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭JimboJones99

Thanks for the responses. Will try and give both a go and make up my own mind. Unfortunately time is not a luxury I have with a couple of young kids at home!! Probably edging towards pilates.

Advertisement