Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SCOPE FOR .17HMR

Options
  • 29-05-2012 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Could someone give me some advice on a scope for a .17hmr please, i am looking at a bushnell banner 6-8 x 50 , has anyone got any views on this scope ? I do most of my shooting in early morning or late evenings so i would need a scope that proforms well in low light conditions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭clivej

ALAN.N wrote: »
    Could someone give me some advice on a scope for a .17hmr please, i am looking at a bushnell banner 6-8 x 50 , has anyone got any views on this scope ? I do most of my shooting in early morning or late evenings so i would need a scope that proforms well in low light conditions.

A great choice of rifle scope. Good clear glass.
    I have one on my 22lr and plan on getting another for my Marlin 1894 lever action in .38/357.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Agree with clive great scope, you will probably find you leave it on 8x the whole time

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ALAN.N

Sorry lads the scope i was looking at is a 6-18x50, thanks for your replies !:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

well even that is a good scope for a .17 i'd gor for something with 8-24 mag as you can use it with a 17 head shooting rabbits at 150+yrds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Even better, i usually had mine on 10x an up to 12x for longer shots. On the .223 i just leave it on 10x for everything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

I have 4-16 on mine and its left on 10-12 all the time now and im shooting rabbits out at 130-160 yards with it no bother.

The higher mag makes you feel less steady i feel and gives a smaller field of view to follow a rabbit if it moves.

Id go with the one you mentioned, you can get it for £100 + p&p in the uk

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

+ on the posts here. We like them over here for the great value for money they represent. It's appreciated that not everybody can go to a Zeiss or S&B these days.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭clivej

Sorry lads the scope i was looking at is a 6-18x50, thanks for your replies !:o

Any/All of the lads here knew you ment the banner 6-18x50. ;);)

Was in O'Hallorans today and he has one Bushnell Trophy 6-18x50 on offer @€;299

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ALAN.N

I was just offered a secondhand Hawke varmint sf 2.5-10 x 44 ,would i be better to stick with the Bushnell banner or go with this scope, i would be grateful for your thoughts on this please.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭vermin hunter

I was just offered a secondhand Hawke varmint sf 2.5-10 x 44 ,would i be better to stick with the Bushnell banner or go with this scope, i would be grateful for your thoughts on this please.

Alan what scope are you using on the .17hmr and would you recommend it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

I do most of my shooting in early morning or late evenings so i would need a scope that preforms well in low light conditions.

Bushnell's are grand. They'll probably perform better than you expect or need.

In low light conditions, you will want a big bell. The 50mm is spot on. You'll also want high end glass and the best coatings, but that is going cost thousands.

If money was no object, I would say get a March. Till then, Bushnell, Burris, Nikon, Vortex, Redfield, and the like will probably be more than enough.

When I buy a scope, I like to get my preferred magnification in the middle of the scope's magnification range. For example, for 12x, I would buy a 6-18 (6+18/2). I like my 3-9 range for shooting 6x (3+9/2).

Just my preference. I don't like to zoom to the extreme to reach my preferred mag.

Advertisement