Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Project maths.

Options
  • 28-05-2012 11:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭

It is driving me insane, is anyone else in the same boat?
    I just cannot do it! :(
    I am generally quite good at maths so I really do not get what the problem is...
    maybe I am attacking the questions the wrong way. Please help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭JackTheGrinder

for the paper 2 sample paper given out for 2013 lc, what answer did you get for Q 1 part C. The bit that kills me the most is not having a place to check my answers :/ its a tough course, the 25 bonus pts will be deserved to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭user.name

for the paper 2 sample paper given out for 2013 lc, what answer did you get for Q 1 part C. The bit that kills me the most is not having a place to check my answers :/ its a tough course, the 25 bonus pts will be deserved to be honest
    Use bernolli trials (cant spell lol) chance of them being 14 is either a success of fail you should use 10c6 then put the rest of it into the formula and get 0.248
    hope this helps :-P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭JackTheGrinder

user.name wrote: »
    Use bernolli trials (cant spell lol) chance of them being 14 is either a success of fail you should use 10c6 then put the rest of it into the formula and get 0.248
    hope this helps :-P
    .248 yes got that!! thank you for replying, nice reassurance to have at last... for part b the answer is pretty simple but phrasing it is a little tricky, is it sufficient to say "the E(x) represents the expected mean of the values one would acquire should they choose a large number of students."?

Sorry to ask a lot but if youve done q2 can I verify my answers for b (i) [+- .03 (ie. +-33.3317) and (ii)[cannot be rejected as 18%<23%<24%]

thanks for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

for part b the answer is pretty simple but phrasing it is a little tricky, is it sufficient to say "the E(x) represents the expected mean of the values one would acquire should they choose a large number of students."?

No, I don't think that would get full marks.

E(x) is the average age of all the second-years in Ireland, (on 1/1/2010).

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Found This Fork Sir

My problem with project maths is that teachers are genuinely unable to teach it correctly. My teacher is someone I would have called a terrible teacher even with the old course she was familiar with, but now I feel like she is more of a student than we are at times tbh. There are whole sections of the books that she doesn't really grasp and struggles to teach, she just leaves out some sections altogether. Thankfully I'm lucky that my maths class all help each other out to try and get answers out, because we all need those 25 points, but I still think it's a bit of a disgrace. :l

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Justin1982

Bad maths teacher is pretty annoying and frustrating. But maths is generally frustrating anyway if you dont know the answer.

Its good that your talking to your class mates. Also use the web/forums for help on specific problems. And consider getting grinds. Even a few with a good teacher are worth their weight in gold. Its possible to get them for free in most areas if you cant afford them but really feel you need them.

Take it easy. Your maths skills will improve if you take your patient with the tough questions. Do as much maths as you can is the key thing. You have to do the right mixture of easy, medium level questions and get them right first. This will build up your confidence and you might not notice it but your mathematical skill will increase.

The way to tackle hard questions is to firstly dont be intimidated by them. You have to enjoy the challenge. Keep at the hard problems. Attempt them every so often after the easy and medium level questions become a bit too easy for you. I think you'll also find its a good idea to walk away from a question thats really wrecking your head and return to it in a few days, weeks or months. I think you'll be surprised how much easier the problem is when you return to hard problem if in the mean time you work on mid level problems which are similar to it.

Getting good at maths really is about enjoying it, being confident and treat it as a marathon. Try not to cheat yourself by looking up the answer in back of some work book too often. You can learn from that method but tackling problems you cant solve immediately and sticking at them is the most important thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Alison55

Im in fifth year and Im not finding it great tbh, Im waiting for my christmas exam results and Im getting grinds after christmas too. its just that when you are in an exam its so difficult to concentrate on such long worded questions. Does anyone have any tips on seriously improving my project maths skills? how can I learn how to do these questions that are worded so badly? I also have a very bad teacher which doesnt help! :( and Im already in pass Irish so I need to do HL Maths

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

It would also help if teachers knew how to teach Project Maths. I found the old course to be so much easier to understand and be much more straight forward in their questions. On the bright side though, examiners tend to be marking the exams easy because they want to show that Project Maths is a success rather than a failure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Huell

It would also help if teachers knew how to teach Project Maths. I found the old course to be so much easier to understand and be much more straight forward in their questions. On the bright side though, examiners tend to be marking the exams easy because they want to show that Project Maths is a success rather than a failure.

Last year though the marking scheme was a **** my friend missed out on an a2 by 3 marks because he didnt do two sub sets for an algebra question

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Huell wrote: »
    Last year though the marking scheme was a **** my friend missed out on an a2 by 3 marks because he didnt do two sub sets for an algebra question

Mhm, I think this year is the last year for the Project Maths test run, so fingers crossed my maths paper won't be marked too hard! (Not that it'll be very well answered though)

• Advertisement
Advertisement