Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limits on an Integral of a semi-circle

Options
  • 28-05-2012 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭

A question asks to calculate the integral over the region R given by:

x^2 + y^2 <= 4
    0 <= y <= 2

Which would be the upper half of a circle of radius 2 centred on the origin.

The integral is done in the book I have and the limits of x are given as -2 to 2, which I can understand.

Though the limits for y are given as: 0 to (4 - x^2)^0.5

I can see that they have obtained this limit from rearranging the first part of the region R.

BUT, why is the limit for y not 0 to 2. Or alternatively, if what they have done is correct, why is it not equally valid to state the limits for x are: 0 to (4 - y^2)^0.5

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

You have to decide what order you're going to take the integral in.

If you're going to take the integral with respect to x as the "outside" integral, then x can run from -2 to 2, but then you have to think about the values that y can take given a specified value of x, which is where they get 0 to (4 - x^2)^0.5.

You could instead take them in the other order - taking the integral with respect to y on the "outside". In that case, y runs from 0 to 2, and you have to decide what x can be for a specified value of y. In this case, x could run from -(4 - y^2)^0.5 to (4 - y^2)^0.5 .

You can think of it this way: do you want to "shade in" the region by drawing infinitely many vertical line segments, or by drawing infinitely many horizontal line segments.

Advertisement