Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Software for physics simulation?

Options
  • 28-05-2012 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭

Hey, just getting into this stuff, I am very good at 3D modelling and I was wondering is there any special software available which allows you to model things then simulate physics around them? Say I model a FAN and simulate how airflow will go? I know that "Autodesk Simulation Mechanical and Multiphysics" does that type of thing, but is there other ones?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

From what I remember, ANSYS takes care of all fluid movements. Water in a pipe, air flow over a car, etc. Costs a pretty penny though. I know solidworks takes care of a lot that too but not sure about fluid movements but possibly. I remember there were some plug ins for the 2011 version that took them into account so maybe that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

From what I remember, ANSYS takes care of all fluid movements. Water in a pipe, air flow over a car, etc. Costs a pretty penny though. I know solidworks takes care of a lot that too but not sure about fluid movements but possibly. I remember there were some plug ins for the 2011 version that took them into account so maybe that?

Well I don't need water, in particular I need airflow and aerodynamics.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

Does your 3d modelling software allow you to create rules - and let you define extra properties?

A good place to look might be the UK games developer forums - not here.

Physics modelling in game development has been de big thing for the last few years. Not that I have done this. But it does simply come down to writing in physics equations to govern behaviour of the models in 3d space. I've heard it's fun. the Game developers play with gravity and such.

I think fancy graphics cards these days supports physics - and there are physics engines.

If you have any luck - come back and tell us. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭rgunning

COMSOL, but again: $$$ - you can get trial versions, and if you're in college, there may be a few licences knocking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

If you have an iphone/ipad, then have a look at wtunnel pro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ZRelation

COMSOL and ANSYS (FLUENT) would be suitable for this. OPENFOAM is an excellent open source alternative.

I would avoid using game engines or anything that comes on an iphone for realistic 3D simulation. Although they might be fun for just messing around with.

Advertisement