Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Trying to quit smoking, recommendations on what I should get?

• 28-05-2012 7:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I am currently trying to quit smoking (roughly 20+ a day) and had considered getting some sort of e-cigarette to help. I didn't know much about vaping and all the different accessories and bits you need but have done some research on this forum and a few of the sites I have come across that sell them.

I currently got a loan of an e-cigarette that was got as a present for the person but they never used it and I have been using it since this morning when i woke up. The name on it is "Smoketronic", i think it might just be a cheap type of one. I have only smoked once since using it so I think I might get myself a proper one to try kick the habit of smoking.

Was looking at getting this one: http://www.ezsmoke.ie/electronic-cigarette-starter-manual-p-150.html

Has anyone here used this one before?
    Does anyone have any advice or recommendations?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
    Stephen

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

To be honest, I'd avoid those cigarette looking battery products. The charge is less than useless on them and you'll only get an hour or two out of them. Better off getting an eGo kit of some type. The batteries will last pretty much all day with them.

This is better. It uses the 510 atomiser but has the eGo batteries. Bit more expensive but probably worth it:

http://www.thevapourstore.ie/joye-ego/joye-ego-starter-kit-510-version-/prod_245.html

or this;

http://www.thevapourstore.ie/joye-ego-c-new/joye-ego-c-starter-kit-650mah-/prod_320.html

Better off buying a good kit starting off.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭CJKeane

I'm gonna second the eGo starter kit!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

http://e-smokeireland.eu/epages/950002218.sf/en_IE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/950002218/Products/DCCXLKIT

is what i'd reccomend

http://e-smokeireland.eu/epages/950002218.sf/en_IE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/950002218/Categories/Drip_Tips
    youll want one of these too

simple and well performing kit. drip liquid into the top of the cartomiser, it has filler inside it which soaks up the juice. you'll get a feel after a short while for when it will be full but for the first few times probably best to do it slowly enough and when you see juice pooling out the bottom of it you know it's more than likely full.
    its one of the simplest vaping options out there. wont leak, cheap (although performance isn't always 100%. because they're so cheap you might run into a few duds every now and again, best to keep a supply of cartomisers handy in case this happens). one cartomiser oughta last you a week but like I said, mileage can vary.
    no fuss about it tbh, fill. screw to battery. attach drip tip. away you go.

youll want some juice as well. e-smokes stuff is well reviewed. have a look around the other irish sites and see what juices take your fancy. there's a "quick reviews liquid" thread at the top of this forum so you can have a look for reccomendations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

Thanks for the replies!
    So the one i linked in the original message i should stay away from I'm guessing?

I'm still trying to get my head around the various parts. Out of the starter kits, what parts have to be replaced after use? (Atomisers, Drip Tips, Cartomisers, Cartridges etc.) and how often would they have to be changed/replaced?
    Can all of the brands use the same liquid/e-liquid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

Thanks for the replies!
    So the one i linked in the original message i should stay away from I'm guessing?

I'm still trying to get my head around the various parts. Out of the starter kits, what parts have to be replaced after use? (Atomisers, Drip Tips, Cartomisers, Cartridges etc.) and how often would they have to be changed/replaced?
    Can all of the brands use the same liquid/e-liquid?

I was in the same boat about a month ago, give it a few weeks and u'll be well up on all the lingo.

Get yourself 2 ego batterys, a few different 501 cartomisers to see what you like (these last about a week), a charger and some juice

• Advertisement

an atomiser is a little plastic housing around a heating coil. you just drip directly into it, the juice sits on the coil and you vape. you can also get tanks/cartridges for certain atomisers which sit onto a mesh spike.. the spike draws the liquid out of the tank and feeds it to the coil as if you were dripping it in. dripping is technically the best flavour you're going to get out of a vape, but really it's so much hassle and the mass produced atomisers tend to need redripping every 3-4 drags.. it's something to do if you're vaping for a while and you want to try out a few new flavours imo.
    how long they last is up to the gods. lots of people can get weeks or a month or more out of them, I tended to have to bin mine after a week which is why I made the jump to cartomisers pretty early on.

cartomiser is an atomiser + cartridge/tank in one disposable body. it has the heating coil inside with some filler material around it, you wet the filler material with your eliquid and as you vape it feeds the juice to the coil. pretty straightforward although there are several different kinds of cartomisers and manufacturing standards are not exactly excellent. it's not terribly uncommon to buy 10 cartomisers and 2-3 of them end up turning to **** after a day or two. but they are so cheap that you can just toss them in the bin if this happens, and you can have a good store of them as backup. Like i said above the rough average for a carto life is about a week. a thicker juice might bring this down a bit and a darker juice might also bring it down, if you're vaping it every 5 minutes of the day you probably wont get a week out of it, if you let the filler go completely dry before refilling (instead of keeping it damp, refilling every now and again) you prob wont get a week.
    there's variables involved, a week is average enough if you take care of them and are lucky

drip tip is just a little plastic/ceramic/metal/whatever mouthpiece you sit into the top of the cartomiser so you dont hasve to wrap your lips around the body of the cartomiser itself. if you're chain vaping the cartomiser can get quite hot and it's just easier to wrap your lips around a drip tip imo. they're not at all neccesary, just preferable.

the batteries in the kit greenhornet and I linked are the important thing. the larger ego style batteries are pretty standard these days so lets say you get the kit I reccomended.
    yuou end up hating the dual coil cartomisers. fair enough, you can buy a few boge cartomisers for 1.50 each and try them out. you hate them too, you can buy a vision stardust clearomiser, you hate thast, you can buy.. etc etc etc
    those batteries are the standard for the majority of products so if you dont like something, you dont have to buy a whole new kit.. yuou just buy the new piece seperately.

yeah by and large the eliquid can be used in anything. eliquid is basically made with pg (propylene glycol) and/or vg (vegetable glycerin). vg is thick as hell and pg is quite runny. pg carries flavour better, vg gives thicker longer lasting vapour. so a lot of juices mix the two in various percentages. some juices that are higher in vg (and thicker as a result) might not work well with certain atomisers/cartomisers.

Thank you so much for the detailed reply. I'm getting to terms with the names and uses of the parts now, thanks!

So am i right in saying you use either a Cartomiser OR an Atomiser?

So just for arguements sake I decided to go for this kit: http://e-smokeireland.eu/epages/950002218.sf/en_IE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/950002218/Products/DCCXLKIT

Would the following be the extra parts/accessories to get with it:
    http://e-smokeireland.eu/epages/950002218.sf/en_IE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/950002218/Products/XLDCC

http://e-smokeireland.eu/epages/950002218.sf/en_IE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/950002218/Products/%22Drip%20Tip%22/SubProducts/%22Drip%20TipBlack%22

plus whichever flavoured liquid i choose...?

And also with the kit above, is it one or two batteries included in it?
    How many of the "extra parts" would i need to get too?

Thanks again for all the help!

yeah both those links are what youll need but tbh the kit itself will likely do you to start with, it comes with 2 batteries and 5 cartomisers.. and unless you're the unluckiest son of a bitch on the planet they oughta last you several weeks at least.
    well you'll need the drip tip too.
    if you want, you can order some more of the cartomisers just to have them but i doubt you'll need them for a while.

Thanks for much for all the help.

I'm presuming you can use any of the liquids from other site with it as well??

I think i will get this one http://e-smokeireland.eu/epages/950002218.sf/en_IE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/950002218/Products/DCCXLKIT

yeah any liquid will work in any device, although like i said above some of the thicker mostly VG liquids might give you trouble in some of them. they'll still vape probably but maybe not wery well.
    most liquids you buy will be mostly PG and the ones that are mostly VG tend to be marked as such so people who want mostly VG liquids can spot them, shouldn't be an issue for you

• Advertisement

Are the PG liquids called standard liquids aswell?

umm.. maybe, might just be the normal brand of eliquid that site sells as opposed to its premium range

if you're looking at thebestshop their standard liquids are dekang liquids, chinese manufacturer
    iirc their liquids are 75%pg 25%vg

So in relation to your post above about VG and PG liquids and the effectiveness of them vaping, are most dekang ones mostly part PG and lower part VG or is there problems with them vaping?

Going to make my order tomorrow. Any recommendations on liquids to start off on? The strawberry milkshake and Ectoplasmic sound nice! Might try a mental/mint one too, always enjoyed a smoke of a menthol cigarette

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

No problems vaping Dekang, they're mostly PG. It's once you get past the magic 30% VG mark that some devices start acting the maggot.

Get menthol and/or mint, definitely, they're kind of the catch-all go-to vape, and very hard for the manufacturer to make "wrong".

Flue-cured tobacco juices are awesome. I've tried a few, haven't had a bad one yet, and I generally hate tobacco flavours, even RY4 (although so many people love it so much, you should still get a small bottle, just to try it).

I quite like pineapple flavours as well.

Would order a larger amount of the minty/menthol flavour/s though. Niiiiiice.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,003 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Steve have you tried doing a full course of champix. I'm off the smokes now nearly 2 months with only 13 days left of tablets left to go. I'd say if your serious about stopping just cut to the chase and get champix, don't read to much into what some people on the internet say about them, crazy dreams etc giving up without them will cause that as well.
    My bro is a commercial diver and had me doing lengths under water testing out my new lungs and was pretty impressed with me. I'd see vaping as a better substitute than smoking but your still kinda smoking, the habbit of putting something besides oxygen in your lungs and lifting something to your mouth is still there. It's better than smoking but not better than not being addicted to anything.
    My bro went on the champix 3 weeks after me and 2 of my friends have just started them, think they've been inspired as I was by far the worst smoker of all of them.

I think you ended up in the vaping thread by mistake you should have went to the giving up smoking one. Give the champix a shot, you won't be smoking anything in 2 weeks whether you like it or not. I tried my best to stay smoking but the champix got the better of me.

champix has a 1 in 5 success rate after 12 months... it does well to get you off the fags initially but lots of smokers are able to do that, the problem is going back on them once the course is finished

Advertisement