Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography geoecology question?

Options
  • 28-05-2012 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭

hey there, does anyone know could you do 4 different economic activities and 4 different biomes for this question? thanks! - confused geography student

''The development of economic activities can alter biomes.
    Discuss this statement with reference to appropriate examples that you have studied. ''

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Spattersonox

Thats like human interactions, right?
    So i think we did the cutting of firewood (deforestation) , Overgrazing and over cropping.. if you're doing desert biome :)

PS... 8SRPS each :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

123 LC wrote: »
    hey there, does anyone know could you do 4 different economic activities and 4 different biomes for this question? thanks! - confused geography student

''The development of economic activities can alter biomes.
    Discuss this statement with reference to appropriate examples that you have studied. ''

I think you have to state one and stick with it tbh!

I think you have to state one and stick with it tbh!

OMG, i didn't notice that they said FOUR biomes... STICK TO ONE
    . you will loose coherence marks i'd say as you're essay would be ALL over the place :o

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭123 LC

but could you talk about like industrialisation in coniferous forests in europe (like acid rain), and then deforestation somewhere else? do you need to talk about a few economic activites like, i don't think i'd have enough to say about one :/

sorry for my complete lack of knowledge in geoecology, our teacher barley did it with us :L thanks for the feedback 2! :)

123 LC wrote: »
    but could you talk about like industrialisation in coniferous forests in europe (like acid rain), and then deforestation somewhere else? do you need to talk about a few economic activites like, i don't think i'd have enough to say about one :/

sorry for my complete lack of knowledge in geoecology, our teacher barley did it with us :L thanks for the feedback 2! :)

no, stick to one biome. Do you have the sue honan book?
    Why on EARTH did your teacher do human activities on different biomes? ridiculous! You can do 4 activities in less detail (6 SRPs i think) or do 3 activities in 8 SRPs. In all honesty you'd be better learning the characteristics FIRST and then the human interaction. because a) it's easier and b) it does come up quite a bit. Then learn the human interaction.

I think the two essays are enough for geoecology. Anyone else agree?

• Advertisement

we have dynamic human geography! :/ we basically just read the chapters on geoecology :L but i have sample answers for the exact exam questions, and for that economic activity question it talks about both acid rain and deforestation, and in the marking scheme for that question i think it says u should do 2 examples?

I've learned off the characteristics of a hot desert biome and i hope to god it comes up :L i'd say them 2 are enough! does it say in the syllabis that a biome q has to come up every year?

human interference and characteristics come up A LOT. at least one is on every year. watch tho, they could vary the characteristics to being how climate effects characteristics etc ;)
    we have that textbook, never use it. No offence but our teacher says its absolute Sh*te and all the facts are outdated :/

ok so i looked up 2008 marking scheme which was really similar to your question
    "Examine two ways in which human activities have altered the natural characteristics of a biome that you have studied. [80m]
    Number of aspects: 3 (27 + 27 + 26) 4 @ 20 marks each
    Identifying aspect: 4 marks 4 marks
    Examination: 8 x SRPs OR 6 x SRPs
    Overall coherence: 7/6 marks graded 4 marks graded
    ¾ Select scheme according to number of aspects dealt with (2:1/1:2/2:2)
    ¾ Allow credit for up to 2 examples from SRPs (different examples & in different aspects)
    ¾ Allow 1 x SRP for naming of biome (once). "

PS. the Sue Honan book is a revision book with just 30markers and 80markers. it's great. i really recommend it :)

ya we don't really use it either, think they brought out a new version this year!

i think the one i posted is from 2011 :)

ok thanks, so really the max u can do is 2 examples!

thanks! just realise the revision book i have is the sue honan one :L this LC is taking its toll :P ya i basically get all my answers from that book :)

haha! no problem :) Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 carnibell

Can you study any biome you want?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭treely

For how humans affect biomes you can do 2 biomes. We do how deforestation affects tropical rainforest biome and how acid rain affect coniferous biome.

treely wrote: »
    For how humans affect biomes you can do 2 biomes. We do how deforestation affects tropical rainforest biome and how acid rain affect coniferous biome.

one year they specified that you could only discuss one biome though. theres an answer just about acid rain in the sue honan book i think :)

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

4 will probably be too many. For human interaction do two. The Sue Honan book that everyone is mentioning does it under two biomes, Coniferous Forest in Northern Europe for acid rain, and Tropical Rainforest for deforestation. Look at the wording of the question though. Some specifically state "in A biome you have studied." If thats the case you can only do one. However the last two times that question was asked it wasnt specific so you could've done two.

thanks! :)

Therefore you'd be better learning it in just one biome because then your covered for all events. They wouldn't specify you to write about it in 2 biomes.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 MartieG

So if you just learn the Biome section of Geoecology, you are sorted ?

MartieG wrote: »
    So if you just learn the Biome section of Geoecology, you are sorted ?

Yeah human interaction and then all about flora,fauna,climate and soil. So my teacher told us?

Yeah human interaction and then all about flora,fauna,climate and soil. So my teacher told us?

Yes, was told the same, and every year there is always a biome question

They could give just one very difficult biome question though. One year they just gave climate of a biome. I'd find it very hard to get 80 marks worth of writing on just climate. I'm just studying biomes too but thought I'd let you know that it mighn't be as straightforward as main characteristics or human interaction.

Bbbbolger wrote: »
    They could give just one very difficult biome question though. One year they just gave climate of a biome. I'd find it very hard to get 80 marks worth of writing on just climate. I'm just studying biomes too but thought I'd let you know that it mighn't be as straightforward as main characteristics or human interaction.

But you can always turn climate of a biome and connect it with everything else really, they are all inter-related.

Any advice on how to start with the regional section? I'm so bad at it and don't know where to start.

• Advertisement

I find with the regional I end up repeating some of the same points in different answers. Especially for my Mezzogiorno answers. Have a look and see if any of your points work for more than one answer and start by learning them. My way of learning Geography is just keep writing out answers over and over again. Doesn't work for everyone though.

I find with the regional I end up repeating some of the same points in different answers. Especially for my Mezzogiorno answers. Have a look and see if any of your points work for more than one answer and start by learning them. My way of learning Geography is just keep writing out answers over and over again. Doesn't work for everyone though.

What are the main areas you are concentrating on in regional? yes I learn by like talking to myself, saying it over and over again :P

Not really sure if this is what you meant but I'm learning Western Region, Dublin, Mezzogiorno and India - all primary (farming and fishing), secondary (manufacturing) and tertiary (transport and tourism). Then just a few other answers like Culture (Mezzogiorno), Industrial decline (Belgium), region of conflict (Belgium). Although I'm not sure if they count for regional or not.

Not really sure if this is what you meant but I'm learning Western Region, Dublin, Mezzogiorno and India - all primary (farming and fishing), secondary (manufacturing) and tertiary (transport and tourism). Then just a few other answers like Culture (Mezzogiorno), Industrial decline (Belgium), region of conflict (Belgium). Although I'm not sure if they count for regional or not.

Thanks, That was helpful, im just so confused where to start. cheers for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 33 rickjames16

Can anyone mail me sample geo ecology answers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭electoralshock

Hi

For geoecology,

2012 Question 16

'Explain how weathering, leaching and podzolisation have impacted on the characteristics of soil'

So are the aspects - Weathering, Leaching and Podzolisation and discuss the characteristics under each.

(This be difficult as leaching and podzolisation are similar)

or

Is the characteristics the aspects such as colour, texture, structure and pH and you discuss the different processes (weathering, leaching and podzolisation) under these.

Any ideas?

Advertisement