Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Periodontal Treatment

Options
  • 28-05-2012 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Has anyone had this done? I had 2 extractions at the weekend but when I was there the dentist advised a course of periodontal treatment. It will be done over 4 sessions as I have the onset of gum disease so I need to get it done

My gums are ok after the extractions, taken a couple of days but I'm off the strong painkillers now and only on Panadol

Has anyone experience of the treatment that's involved for gum cleaning? How sore am I likely to be after it? I know it requires a local anaesthetic and can be a bit aggressive..i've booked the first quarter for a Friday so it give me some time to recover so I'll be fit for work on a Monday

Any advice anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

perio treatment is very successful, but it's very dependent on how you maintain everything at home. make sure you're shown exactly how to clean and practice and persevere with it.
    your teeth may become sensitive after the cleaning, so start using a sensitive toothpaste asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

I got this done a few months back. It was done in two visits which was fine by me as I dont like dentist visits. It was fine, felt a bit of the cleaning but I have issues with local anesthetic so that was to be expected. I bled for a while after and my gums were quite sensitive for a day or two. I didnt change my toothpaste just took it handy with the brushing.
    I also invested in an electric tooth brush and some of those little brush things that you use inbetween teeth.
    I was told to take an over the counter painkiller if needed but tbh I didnt need any. You will definitely be perfectly fine by sat eve or sun morn.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Lorrs33

I got it done a few years back, also took two days. I didn't find it painful, just uncomfortable. Like Themadhouse, I invested in the electric toothbrush, which I still have and those little bottle brushes. Though she wanted me to stick the brushes up into my gum pockets so they would bleed, apparently it's supposed to help but I couldn't do it. My dentist said my teeth and gums are grand so long as I brush, floss and use mouthwash.

Advertisement