Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stretch Marks!!

Options
  • 28-05-2012 6:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭

Hi all,

First time pregnant,

I am 15wks 1day pregnant and just wondering when will I get those dreaded stretch marks?

Anything I can do to prevent them or even reduce the amount I get?

I have been using Bio Oil and Shea Butter. Walking a lot and trying to eat healthy. Although just ate a full bag of M&Ms :/. (big bag)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

after your pregnancy it is worth looking up re cell on the internet,its the only treatment to get rid of stretch marks fully,all these lasers are just gimmicks i know a lot of girls that have tried them and they really are..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭sleepytrees

after your pregnancy it is worth looking up re cell on the internet,its the only treatment to get rid of stretch marks fully,all these lasers are just gimmicks i know a lot of girls that have tried them and they really are..

They don't appear till after the baby arrives??.

I'll have a look online for that. Thanks:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

I was nearly 33 weeks before I got any. Honestly I think if u are going to get them u will, not sure u can prevent them completely but bio oil can't do any harm :)

I was nearly 33 weeks before I got any. Honestly I think if u are going to get them u will, not sure u can prevent them completely but bio oil can't do any harm :)

I don't mind a few but i don't want to be covered like a zebra. Knowing my luck there won't be a part of me that isn't covered in stretch marks :).

At least if I do the bio and shea butter my skin will be soft!!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭lmullen

I was constantly putting creams and oils on but they made no difference at all - stretch marks are still all over my bump. Apparently you are genetically predisposed to them so if your mum got them the chances are you will too!! The creams and oils are great to stop the itchy tummy though!!

• Advertisement

lmullen wrote: »
    I was constantly putting creams and oils on but they made no difference at all - stretch marks are still all over my bump. Apparently you are genetically predisposed to them so if your mum got them the chances are you will too!! The creams and oils are great to stop the itchy tummy though!!

my mother had seven children and not one stretch mark! But both of my sisters got them! So I don't know. I don't really mind getting them but I would like to reduce how bad they will be. The creams defiantly stop the itching. So at least it's not a waste of money!! Penneys are doing really cheap bio oil and shea butter too!! I have heard that drinking water can help.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭TwoMums2Be

Genetics def play a roll in how bad you might get them but staying hydrated, using bio oil etc will help as its down to the elasticity of your skin.

You can get them at any stage of pregnancy - kinda depends on how your bump develops :) I'm 33 weeks and am starting to develop some new ones as my bumps get bigger :) I also have a few tiny ones in the middle of my belly where my little one keeps sticking her foot out :D

The lotions & potions def help with itchiness so are a def must :)

TwoMums2Be wrote: »
    Genetics def play a roll in how bad you might get them but staying hydrated, using bio oil etc will help as its down to the elasticity of your skin.

You can get them at any stage of pregnancy - kinda depends on how your bump develops :) I'm 33 weeks and am starting to develop some new ones as my bumps get bigger :) I also have a few tiny ones in the middle of my belly where my little one keeps sticking her foot out :D

The lotions & potions def help with itchiness so are a def must :)

I have a bump but it's only little :D

At least they eventually turn white and fade!!

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭TwoMums2Be

They do & if you continue bio oil after the birth that will help them heal also :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I was HUGE at the end of my pregnancy and I was happy but very surprised to see I didn't get any. I used moisturiser every day but I think it's down to luck and genetics.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Mine are more of a silvery colour than white... Boots do a version of Bio Oil and it's lots cheaper than the real thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭notsobusy

Mothercare also do a stretch mark cream that's good value!

I got some marks on my breasts at about 20 odd weeks and had none of my tummy till 2 weeks ago, I was 33. I have been putting on bio oil so just seems to be luck of the drawer!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I never got them during pregnancy and usually forgot to put the Bio Oil on me, so I do think its down to your skin and its elasticity.

The oil is good for the itching though, and you can rope in your partner to massage your backaches away :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

I am using Palmers Tummy Butter at the moment.
    i did get a few stretch marks with my 1st pregnancy, but they were reduced to silver lines. now i can see them returning, but they are still faded and silvery. no new ones yet, and i'm 33 weeks.
    make sure you put the oil/cream on your sides too, as that skin will stretch along with your belly also!

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭SSFG

They are genetic I'm afraid. No sign of me getting any yet at 30 weeks but I'm sure I will. Have been moisturising but more for the skin stretching than against stretch marks. In any case using the creams will only penetrate the top layer of skin not deep down where the stretch marks come from.

To stretch or not to stretch that is the question..

I guess it's just a waiting game. At least it's for a worthy cause. I am sure having a baby will distract me!!

Advertisement