Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Vintage tax - whats the story??

Options
  • 28-05-2012 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi lads, heard from a friend today that vintage tax was done away with in the last budget and is now the same as normal no matter the age of the car. Is this true? Went searching and couldn't find anything about it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭bally2009

Ah right, thats what I was looking for! My friend was wrong so. Cheers! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

Is there a classic tax for cars over 20 years?

Always thought there was classic and vintage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Soarer wrote: »
    Is there a classic tax for cars over 20 years?

Always thought there was classic and vintage?

Classic insurance - over 20 years.
    Classic tax - over 30 years.

Thinking of getting a small classic next year when I have a policy again.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭alpina

Christ...just read the op post & think I missed 3 or 4 heart beats, :eek::eek: there's taxes, household charge, septic tank charge, etc etc but hands off my bleedn' car tax!!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

What is with all these people that either hear half a sentence of hearsay or just make something up themselves and spread it as fact?

How many threads has there been in the last few months of people being told a SORN like system is up and running and the old declarations are gone or different tax systems are changed or done away with or a multitude of NCT issues?

One from the NCT thread currently running:
    wrote:
    If missed 2 years, you will be charged twice on same day... For example, if your NCT is due in 2011 february, and you went in next week, you will be charged €55 and renew the NCT in feburuay 2013..... Or if you decided to go to NCT next february trying to avoid paying twice, makes no differece, you would be paying twice €110...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Why is there vintage tax? Why does someone that drives an older car pay less?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Confab wrote: »
    Classic insurance - over 20 years.
    Classic tax - over 30 years.

Thinking of getting a small classic next year when I have a policy again.

Classic insurance isn't for vehicles of 20+ years. It's 15+ years with some insurers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Classic insurance isn't for vehicles of 20+ years. It's 15+ years with some insurers.

15 years? Sure it's barely off the factory floor at that stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Its to encourage people to keep classic cars on the road. I wouldn't pay full tax rate on my classic, if they scrapped the classic rate it would kill the market.

What's your new classic? The 924 you have is great - almost tempting if I wasn't saving so much this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

GarIT wrote: »

Most of the drivers are old and greying and can't afford the full rates :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

GarIT wrote: »

the theory is,. I beleive , that by the time the car reaches 30 years it will have paid its fair share and as it wont do many miles it wouldnt be fair to be charging it the same as a 100,000 per year car...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

corktina wrote: »
    the theory is,. I beleive , that by the time the car reaches 30 years it will have paid its fair share and as it wont do many miles it wouldnt be fair to be charging it the same as a 100,000 per year car...
    That and many of us on here run a few cars, and it helps keep the cost down a bit too..

May it keep rollong forever...:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭mattroche

Shawnee, you have a good point. But I also think that there are also health issues. Very few classic lovers that I have met, seem to suffer from depression, bordem, or lonelyless. As a new comer of 70 it is a lifestyle that I would highly reccomend. It is great going to rallys and meeting like minded people, and talking about CARS,CAAARRRSSS and CAAAARRRRSSSS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Yeah agree it is a really great hobby.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

Which insurers will give you classic insurance for a 15 year old car? I already have classic insurance for my '86 LeBaron. Could I also get classic insurance for my '93 Lexus LS400?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

If your classic insurance is based on your Lexus as your main car standard policy,then probably not.

Advertisement