Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Find people open water swimming bull island

Options
  • 28-05-2012 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

HI All,

I am looking for a group,clubs or just few regulars to go for open water swim in North Dublin ideally; I have tried by myself and I didn't feel safe especially when I got stung by a jelly fish I really had to calm myself down to go back to my starting point so I realize I need some company I saw a lot of people training but I didn't get the chance to talk to them; I am a good pool swimmer but I am a very beginner in open water the difference is huge; I have done the first Howth aquathlon (not for the running but just for the swimming) and I really enjoyed so I would like to swim more in the sea but not alone :)

Can Anyone help? I had a look at few websites and it's very confusing some don't have telephone or way of getting in touch almost like a secret society or something I just need some people to tag along till I gain some confidence.
    Thanks again
    Enrica

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

The half moon swimming club might be able to give you some contact details. They're based on the south wall but will surely know someone northside.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Enrica75

:D Thank you I have sent them an email; hopefully they have good news for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Well done on not panicking when you got stung. Also if you see people training please go over, ask them can you join in with them,they won't bite. . Afaik Eastern bay swimming club train there a bit.

Also at Bull wall from past experiences there can be a lot of Lions maine Jelly fish there...Bull wall is not my favorite place to swim, always find it can be bit dirty.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Enrica75

I do love the 40th foot but it's quite far for me and always very busy;
    Bull bridge is quite close.
    I know some people would think I am a softie but I am glad I was wearing the wet suite so I only got my hand stung; fair play for those swimming without; to me is like an Armour it gives me sense of security; also being Italian I don't like the cold temperature... I am getting better:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

i just started swimming off the bull wall recently as someone told me you rarely find jellyfish there (irrational fear)
    why in gods name did i open this thread :(

• Advertisement

subway wrote: »
    i just started swimming off the bull wall recently as someone told me you rarely find jellyfish there (irrational fear)
    why in gods name did i open this thread :(

Did a race there one day and got stung, it was the year (2 years ago I think) I suppose when they were everywhere and not just bull wall I suppose....You can be very unlucky sometimes. A swimmer might swim straight into a jellyfish turning it upside down and not get stung and a swimmer behind would.

If your going out swimming, try and bring an ice pack, if you get stung try and grab some sand using the sea water over where you got stung rubbing sand over sting. Then use the ice pack on it, till you get home and get some antihistamine tablets and pain killers into.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭kris71

also baywatch is back in action from bank holiday weekend (weekends only in june for fingal I'm not sure about the bull wall) so if you get stung find a lifeguard hut and you will get help there. If you are looking for a place on the north side I'm not sure if they still gather at that time but on sundays at 12 you will find a handful of swimmers at the portmarnock low rock (or high rock I always get confused with those two) if they won't be there try Pormarnock beach as they go there sometimes if the sea is to rough to enter from the ladder ;)

Yeah as Kris said, Portmarnock is quite near also.....

Here is a link to tell you the difference between Low rock and High Rock in Portmarnock....

Race Locations

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭kris71

thanks for that map have to do some races on south side this year so will come handy ;)

Advertisement