Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postgrad Fees Help for Mature Age Student

Options
  • 28-05-2012 5:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi Everyone,

I've been sleuthing online and can't seem to find the answer to my question so I hope someone can help.
    I'm wondering if I will be eligible for a Higher Education Grant for my course. It will be a postgrad and it will be in a recognised institution, I'm 30 since last year so am a mature age student.

Here are the complications!

I already have an undergraduate degree, which I completed straight out of school (so availed of the free fees initiative). The following year I enrolled in a 1 yr postgrad course, however I dropped out before the year ended, possibly before the end of the first term (im not sure of the dates). This course was back in 2003 - 2004 so I've had the 5 year break.

Also, I been living in Australia for 1 year now, it'll be two by the time we leave (we're saving as much as we can).

I'm wondering if I will be eligible for a grant since I started a p.grad course before(not as a mature student) and will have been out of the country for 2 years before applying.

Any info you can provide would be great. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Hi Kate. Unfortunately the government slashed funding assistance for Post-grad students in the last budget. Info below taken from Citizens information http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/third_level_education/fees_and_supports_for_third_level_education/maintenance_grant_schemes_for_students_on_third_level_courses.html
    Changes in Budget 2012- Post grad funding
    No maintenance grants will be paid for new entrants on postgraduate courses from the 2012-13 academic year. Fee grants (described below) will continue to be paid for those postgraduate students who would previously have qualified for the special rate of grant, i.e have an income of up to €22,703 for 2011 and be in receipt of a Social Welfare payment.

In addition, based on their means, a further 4,000 postgraduate students will get a €2,000 fee contribution grant. The income threshold for this payment (which will be lower than the standard grant threshold) has not yet been determined.

Fee grants
    A fee grant can cover any of the following 3 elements:
    • All or part of the student contribution
    • Costs of essential field trips
    • All or part of a student’s tuition fees (but not if covered by the Free Fees Scheme)

More information is available from:
    Student Universal Support Ireland (SUSI)
    Tel: 0761 08 7874
    Email: support@susi.cdvec.ie

Higher Education Equity of Access

Department of Education and Skills
    Portlaoise Road
    Tullamore
    Co. Offaly
    Ireland
    Tel:+353 (0)57 9325317
    Fax:+353 (0)57 9325435
    Homepage: http://www.education.ie/

For all grants the residency requirement is that you have to have been living in Ireland for 3 out of the last 5 years.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 kate98

Hi Paperclip,

Thanks for your reply. It's unfortunate but at least I know now and can plan without the grant.
    Really appreciate your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Don't mention it. Pity it wasn't any better for you.
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 40,980 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

You may not be eligible for a grant but you would still be eligible for tax relief on fees

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement