Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Railway Records Society

Options
  • 27-05-2012 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,434 ✭✭✭✭

I'm not a regular poster here, but I'm trying to find out some information for my brother-in-law (in England) who is trying to track down a family member (grandfather) who apparently worked for the Waterford Dungarvan Lismore railway, and was a lodgekeeper in Boher(a)willin, near Cappagh in the early 20th century. Information is very scarce, we don't even know his first name, but he has been given some information that suggests the Irish Railway Records Society may be able to help, but efforts to email them have had no success.

I see from their website that they're based somewhere in the grounds of Heuston station and that they're supposedly open on Tuesday evenings, but does anybody here know where exactly, and what they're like to deal with?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

The IRRS are in the old goods offices on the Liffey (right hand) side of the road as you drive up to the Heuston carpark. They are open on Tuesday evenings and they may be able to help you as they certainly have stacks of material but they are about as welcoming as a Masonic Lodge.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,434 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The IRRS are in the old goods offices on the Liffey (right hand) side of the road as you drive up to the Heuston carpark. They are open on Tuesday evenings and they may be able to help you as they certainly have stacks of material but they are about as welcoming as a Masonic Lodge.
    Thanks, that's certainly the impression I got from their website .. at least I'll be prepared!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,024 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I must say, I find them grand in general. Some will be a bit more gruff than others but they are a grand bunch of guys and .

Getting back to you, Alun; if you have no first name then bring approximate dates of employment along with any locations or grades that may be relevant to him. You'd be surprised how quickly they can pull up information with scant leads.

Advertisement