Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are springers affected by weather?

Options
  • 27-05-2012 1:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭

As the title says, are springers (Sniper rifles, etc...) affected by weather?

For example, if there was a medium-heavy wind would it increase F.P.S., if there was no-low wind would it decrease F.P.S. or does it all depend on what internals you have?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Wind wouldn't affect it majorly, the bb's muzzle velocity will not increase, but the following could happen.

For example a gun could have a 300fps muzzle velocity with a .2g bb, with a wind which will be slower than 300fps your bb comes out the muzzle at 300fps regardless of external conditions, it will be going faster than the wind so can only slow down.
    Fired with the wind it will lose velocity slower, against the wind it will lose velocity faster, but never accelerate, it can only decelerate.
    The muzzle energy however is defined by the gun, which is pretty much a closed system of forces and will not change with wind.

There is a phenomenon where air density and humidity affect fps, as heavier denser air takes up more of a percentage of the kinetic energy applied to the air AND bb than lighter less dense air. There was a famous (for airsoft) trip to Galway where they had less dense weather and sunny days (low humidity) and a huge number of Dublin tuned aegs went up in power, mine included.
    We had a whole thread on it and my explanation was the relative mass of the lighter air being accelerated with the bb taking less energy away from that bb than the heavier Dublin air.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Read something before and for the life of me I cant remember where
    which mentions Humidity and how with the make up of plastics and rubbers
    that Air Humidity could have a small affent on how your hop-up bucking affects
    your BB.

At a G-TAC event in Galway (might have been the same event)
    I had my gun (or maybe more than 1) Chrono over the limit in Galway
    when it Chrono'd under in Limerick. It was a really Sunny Humid day I was
    there as remember been drenched in sweat and having my eyes and nose all
    stuffed up with hayfever.

~B

Advertisement