Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving a classic as your main car?

Options
  • 26-05-2012 12:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭

In my search for a new car, I've fallen in love with this http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/3398682
    :D:D
    Thing is, I haven't a clue about classics :o My OH is handy with cars and he reckons any work would be handy enough to do, it'd just be a matter of finding the parts. But how practical would it be to have a car like this on the road constantly? Or is it possible at all?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Nice Cork county reg on that. As for an everyday car, it's all down to what you are doing with it. Up and down to town would be fine, just remember, they are not like a modern car to either stop or go.
    Plenty of spares backup for minors too.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭type85

how many miles do you average a day/week/year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

I'd be doing at least 170 miles a week. It's not the reliability or the cost of maintenance that'd worry me, I'd just hate to buy something like that and then ruin it from driving it so much. If it wouldn't handle the mileage I'll leave it alone :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

its what it was designed to do. Just bear in mind it wont start at random times and will sometimes unaccountably stop when you least expect it!

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭DaveCol

I regularily see a Morris Minor which seems to be in regular use around Ballsbridge in Dublin.
    I reckon if you keep it serviced and maintained and keep in mind it won't be like driving a modern car you won't go too far wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Morris Minors are one of the most reliable classics to choose. Nearly always start and are quite economical to run. I drove one as a daily driver for a year and had little problems. I suppose one has to be aware that brakes are not as good as the modern cars but then again you don't drive as fast. Go for it, will put a smile on your face and on others and at then end of twelve months you will probably get your money back if you want to sell :D

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Bit of advice first though. Ring around for insurance. You may find it difficult to get insured on.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭acmatman

I drove a 73 Rover P5B for years till last Sept. Its a great idea driving a classic , but it will test you patience ,a cold Feb morning it just about starts and the water temperature takes ages to move up before you can turn on the heater .Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Always had a soft spot for these, and if you're heart set on a classic as a daily runner you could do a lot worse.
    Provided its not a rotbox, it looks a good buy. As other have said though, just be aware its not going to drive or brake like a modern car, so be conscious of that. Classics like that demand a relaxed attitude!

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Basil Fawlty

People used to drive these cars everyday, thats what the were designed to do. I use a classic as a daily driver and its no problem at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭piston

The important point is to pump it full of Waxoyl before winter sets in.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 jaygile

I am in the same boat (considering a Classic for an every dayer, and newbie).
    Last poster you mentioned pumping it befoer winter, am just wondering what pumping it with Waxoyl consists of doing and how this helps? Does this apply to all classics as a rule of thumb? Any info much appreciated thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Gmin

Waxoyl is a rust preventative that is pumped into hollow sections of cars and underbody crevices.It helps to prevent the onset of rust and especially if you are using a classic in winter with salt applied to the roads.As for using a Moggy as an everyday car,with proper maintenance and a Marina disc brake upgrade it would be perfect.

Advertisement