Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert. Construction Project

Options
  • 25-05-2012 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭

Hey lads I'm in 5th year and I have a portfolio to hand in next week for my project but I'm stuck for ideas on what to do. I'm not the best at power tools but I can do a ok job and I am perfect with hand tools.

Earlier on in the year I've thought about making hurleys but my teacher said that I would have to write a lot on my history research of hurleys and all that crap. So I'm not quite sure on the written part. At the moment I've been thinking of making a chair which should be straight forward and no compilcations.

This is the first design I would like to make:

206356.jpg

Any thoughts or any other ideas?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

;) Don't want to discourage you but chair making is probably the most difficult branch of cabinetmaking.
    You have selected a bow-back Windsor chair which would need an elm seat ( ideally - to prevent splitting ) turned spindles and steam bending facilities for the back.Traditional tools like an adze and scorpe are used to shape the seat.
    It makes hurley making seem primitive by comparison.
    If you want to go ahead there are a few good books on the market. The late Jack Hill in the UK wrote a lot about making these and he was a wise old owl.
    Personally I think it would be a very ambitious project to take on.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 zebrano.96

have to agree with receipo
    if you had somebody to guide you through, it would be easier for u but something simplier would be a better place to start.just finished an elm rocking chair last week ,have done lots of kids miniture chairs,try one of them exact same principle as as real chair only smaller:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

I doubt my school will have the equipment to actually make something like that so I've decided to make a simple chair for my PC in the hallway and a add a bit of design to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

LostBoy101 wrote: »
    I doubt my school will have the equipment to actually make something like that so I've decided to make a simple chair for my PC in the hallway and a add a bit of design to it.

;) Did you mean a 'desk' for a PC. ? Can't imagine what good a chair would be.! Overall I'd say try and source the most appropriate wood for the project.
    I know schools have budgets but making baseball bats out of pine etc just feels all wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

recipio wrote: »
    ;) Did you mean a 'desk' for a PC. ? Can't imagine what good a chair would be.! Overall I'd say try and source the most appropriate wood for the project.
    I know schools have budgets but making baseball bats out of pine etc just feels all wrong.
    No, I meant a chair to sit on while I'm on the PC. The wood I'll be using is ash which is reliable and strong and I agree that pine isn't the way to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

How about a music stand for holding sheet music?

Advertisement