Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water carrying options?

Options
  • 25-05-2012 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking for advice and recommendations for carrying water on runs. So far I haven't needed to bring any water as my longest runs are ~ 8km. But now that I'm starting to train for a HM and it's so much warmer, I think I'm going to need something.

I don't know how much water I need - I guess I'll be gradually increasing my time running up to about 2hrs.

I've just been looking on Wiggle and I'm really confused by all the different options out there - camelbaks, hydration belts etc. I know that the less I carry, the happier I run and a lot of them look heavy and uncomfortable.

Thanks in advance for any input..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

Is hiding a couple of small bottles along your route an option?

I've been using this for the past few months of training. It's comfortable and doesn't bounce about. It holds 2 x 300 mls

38527.jpg

RubyK wrote: »
    Is hiding a couple of small bottles along your route an option?

I've been using this for the past few months of training. It's comfortable and doesn't bounce about. It holds 2 x 300 mls

38527.jpg

have this one also - it's good. easy to clean the bottles too unlike some hydration packs. key thing on these belts is that they rest well on your waist/hips and don't move about - this one works well in that respect. would recommend it.

the model is nathan speed 2. nathan trail mix is similar but different belt.

advantage of this one is the option to only carry one bottle if you want. it's designed in such a way that you can put the bottle back in with one hand also which is very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭gnu

Thanks a mill guys, that looks good - I esp like the sound of one-handed access to water. The bottles don't seem to hold very much though. I know it's not always as hot as this week but I've felt permanently thirsty in the heat and not sure ~600mls (I think that's what it holds) would have done me on longer runs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

600ml is a very small amount for a long run. I thought u were supposed to drink 1L/ hr you run. I took 750ml with me on a 3hr run early this morning when it was cool and I was parched when I was finished:confused:

well they have a 4 bottle version giving 1.2L. other option is to nip into a garage / shop during run and buy water to refill if needed. failing that you'll have to look at a camelback backpack type devive.

re 1L per hour - thinking has changed on that - drink when you are thirsty!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2012/apr/18/how-much-water-drink-marathon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭gnu

Interesting article Glasso, thanks. I didn't know that, thought I was meant to weigh myself before and after but rarely got around to it. I'm going to have a look around to see if I can try them on (am trying to buy from Irish shops anyway if I can) so I'll know which feels less uncomfortable. I suspect I won't need nearly as much water once it goes back being grey and freezing! :D

Advertisement