Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mdf grille for rad covers help?

Options
  • 24-05-2012 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭

Hi guys iv to make good few radiator covers for a customer and cant seem to find somewhere to buy mdf grilles at cost at a reasonable price as they seem very expensive for what they are. 3-5mm mdf in a grill pattern... when you take into account you can buy an 8 by 4 ft sheet of 12mm ply for less than 20 euro and these 3mm panels are in the region of 25-35 euro and they are only 2ft by 6ft?? any help would be great?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

I think the screening panels are quite good value at 25 to 35 euros each.

It's certainly easier to buy them than to make them.

Woodworkers have a good selection, and until today I always thought they were quite good value. I'm sure there's probably cheaper alternatives if you want hundreds of sheets...

http://www.woodworkers.ie/special_materials/screening_panels/94/39/

Does anyone know how the panels are made? (especially the hardboard ones?)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'd imagine they use some kind of fancy CNC router setup. Not cheap, and they need to make their investment back somehow I suppose. You'd drive yourself crazy making something like that yourself by hand, so €25-35 sounds like a bargain to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭anonanymore

I bought some in B&Q a while back, I can't remember what price they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Woodies have them, again not sure of the price. Failing that a search of ebay is worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭jakko86

ya i presume a cnc router but i would have thought the material 3mm sheet of mdf would be very cheap and i thought the cost of making them would be quiet cheap when making them in bulk... after all its a sheet of 3mm mdf with holes punched every 5-10mm,i know cnc routers are far from cheap but your not going to buy one especially to do these panels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

;) Iv'e seen them in Woodies and the metal ones are 47.99 each.
    From memory I think the mdf ones are the same !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

seen them in woodies at that, stupid price. I know it may sound funny but some of the thinner sheets work out dearer than the thicker ones in a good few suppliers. 25 is a pretty good price.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

Try Adverts.ie. I recall a listing for a number of them. Actually here they are http://www.adverts.ie/1687701

Advertisement