Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The right time to emigrate to Dubai?

Options
  • 24-05-2012 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,

I'm looking for advice from the experienced here, as I'm stuck at a decision and dont which way to turn! I'm 40, a single female, in a steady professional job, with my own properties and still able to cover the mortgages (just about).... The thing is I have wanted to live abroad for years, but one thing or another has stopped me. Now the time seems right to go, but I am extremely unsure that at my age and doing it alone, giving up a comfortable albeit extremely boring life in Ireland is going to be a huge mistake. I have never lived abroad, so have no idea if or how I will cope!
    Dubai is my destination of choice. From initial chats with some recruitment agencies I potentially can earn decent money there, the weather is great and the geographical location is ideal for wider travelling / holidays etc. I've been many times as I have a good friend there, so I know the expat set up. My mate is now happily in a new relationship, so I would have to get good at making new friends...
    Has anyone out there done this, at an older age, and on their own, given up a secure life that is just ok but hasnt changed in years, exchanged it for a completely new life that is not as secure but it is "the dream". I know its the recession, so I could be crazy, but you only get one life!
    Has anyone tried it in Dubai? Is it easy to get going there? If I dont do it soon, it will be too late in terms of getting the right roles etc and I seriously dont want to spend the next couple of years thinking what if I had done it etc.. Easier said than done to "just go for it" as it is a huge risk... I have my biased friends driven crazy talking about it, so any new thoughts would be very welcome. Thanks :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭killers1

Sunny Days wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm looking for advice from the experienced here, as I'm stuck at a decision and dont which way to turn! I'm 40, a single female, in a steady professional job, with my own properties and still able to cover the mortgages (just about).... The thing is I have wanted to live abroad for years, but one thing or another has stopped me. Now the time seems right to go, but I am extremely unsure that at my age and doing it alone, giving up a comfortable albeit extremely boring life in Ireland is going to be a huge mistake. I have never lived abroad, so have no idea if or how I will cope!
    Dubai is my destination of choice. From initial chats with some recruitment agencies I potentially can earn decent money there, the weather is great and the geographical location is ideal for wider travelling / holidays etc. I've been many times as I have a good friend there, so I know the expat set up. My mate is now happily in a new relationship, so I would have to get good at making new friends...
    Has anyone out there done this, at an older age, and on their own, given up a secure life that is just ok but hasnt changed in years, exchanged it for a completely new life that is not as secure but it is "the dream". I know its the recession, so I could be crazy, but you only get one life!
    Has anyone tried it in Dubai? Is it easy to get going there? If I dont do it soon, it will be too late in terms of getting the right roles etc and I seriously dont want to spend the next couple of years thinking what if I had done it etc.. Easier said than done to "just go for it" as it is a huge risk... I have my biased friends driven crazy talking about it, so any new thoughts would be very welcome. Thanks :cool:

Although my gut reaction would be just go for it, you're right, it's easier said than done! Any possibility of getting a year out of your current job then go see how you get on and if it doesn't work out you can come back to your old life? At least that way you'll have tried it and won't regret not doing it plus you'd have the security of a job to come back to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭galwaymusic

Well I am 17 but we lived there for a bit. You will LOVE Dubai and the money etc butthere are many cultural traditions and differences that could really trigger homesickness.
    There's religion, laws for people who aren't in that religion, SERIOUS punishments for doing various NORMAL things (I could give some unbelievable examples), womens rights issues, etc.
    I don't want to put you off by these things, just to make you aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Sunny Days

Thanks for your response Killers1, you're advice is right, that would be the ideal.. However, I've requested several times a sabbatical, but that's not going to happen, recession or not. So, it's all or nothing... aaahhhh...

Galwaymusic, I am familar with the laws out there, they're definitely not to be taken lightly, so thanks for that advice too....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Some guy summed it up last night about Dubai from their experience; Everyone is either married or f**king around.
    A bit of a genralisation.
    First thing you should do is not even think about the weather. The novelty of sunny days soon wears off if you are not in a job you like, or not in a place you like. The blatant materialism wouldn't be for me. I would go over on a recon trip before deciding anything.........

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Practchin

Hey! I can completely empathise. I am same age in same circumstances and have been ruminating over all the pros and cons in my mind over and over. My places of choice are Dubai or New Zealand so far. Weather is definitely a deal breaker for me. Did you go in the end or are you still here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

the weather is great
    Dubai was 44 degrees celsius today with a relative humidity of 16%...... there is no comfort in these temperatures. Admittedly, these extreme temperatures only last about 3 months of the year.

Smurfjed

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

smurfjed wrote: »
    Dubai was 44 degrees celsius today with a relative humidity of 16%...... there is no comfort in these temperatures. Admittedly, these extreme temperatures only last about 3 months of the year.

Smurfjed

Yes, but everywhere is air conditioned, so there is plenty of comfort.

From October to March, the climate is lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Captain Commie

I currently live in Al Ain, which is about 90 mins drive south-west of Dubai, been here for nearly a year and love it. Yeah there are major differences in cultures, but its so easy going its unreal.

My wife is a teacher and she currently works for the Abu Dhabi Education Council in a school out here and we get a pretty sweet deal, including free flights once a year, free health insurance, free rent and various discounts.

I will advise you though to be wary of recruitment agencies in Dubai. I had applied for a couple of jobs when we first moved here and was promised the earth. I had told them that i need the valid work visa and either an accomodation allowance so that I could stay in Dubai during the week, or a commuting allowance, I was told that would get a great package and all that would be included. I got a call offering the job I wanted, asked them about salary and extras and was told that "You must pay for your own visa (can cost up to 200eur) and that no company will give accommodation or travel allowance to someone living in Al Ain.

Whilst my situation was different to you, I would still be very very wary of agencies here, at the end of the day they are only out to make money for themselves. The best way to move here, is with a multi-national that will send you there and give you accommodation etc.

Wish you all the best in your decision making, there is also a sizeable Irish community in Abu Dhabi and Dubai

Advertisement