Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disable iPhone 4s Apple Password Request

Options
  • 24-05-2012 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi,

This isn't a really, really big deal but I'd love to know if I can disable the Apple password request on my iPhone 4s. It asks me to enter my Apple password whenever I download an app (free or purchased) and whenever I download updates for apps. I can understand the point of having a password for purchasing apps but for free apps and app updates? What's the point of that?

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my question.

Kind regards,
    Warrior Monk

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Nope, its a security feature by apple. once the password is entered you wont be asked again for 15 minutes but you cant turn it off.

imagine if you will that you had your credit card associated with your itunes account, and you had no passcode on your phone, and your phone was stolen.

you'd be glad the thief couldnt cost you thousands in paid apps then wouldnt you?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Warrior Monk

Thanks 120 minutes, I agree about that security risk. However, if it was possible to disable the password request when simply updating apps or when downloading free apps, I would definitely would. Although I would leave it in place for purchasing anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Thanks 120 minutes, I agree about that security risk. However, if it was possible to disable the password request when simply updating apps or when downloading free apps, I would definitely would. Although I would leave it in place for purchasing anything.

No option for that unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭squonk

It's one that's needed really. It's annoying me at this point too. I've no problem giving my password for paid content purchases but when the items are free it's just redundant. Hopefully they'll introduce this in ios6

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I can't see them changing this. It's an anti-piracy measure. Without it it would be possible to share paid apps with other users and for them to download free updates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

There's a free cydia app called password pilot that adds it in for you automatically. Just saw it there, not sure would I trust it myself.

Its server side authentication, i cant see it changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

It is a pain though, i often wondered if there was an option to disable it.

AFAIK there is an option to disable it on iTunes but that's only when downloading apps on the computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

your prayers are answered, coming in iOS6 according to macrumors:

- Users no longer need to enter their password to update apps -- only when purchasing an app for the first time. Additionally, users aren't kicked to the home screen when buying or updating an app in the App Store.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭yer man!

Does android allow you to download free apps without password entry? I vaguely remember my android friend saying that to me before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,909 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement