Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blog review

Options
  • 24-05-2012 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hey,

Slightly nervous about doing this because I know it's going to get slated but I'd really appreciate some reviews of this website - twimii.com

It's a little blog I have. It's a bit of mess but I like it and it has pretty much no readers. I haven't done any marketing on it mostly because I'm not sure where to promote it and also I'm not all that sure I want to. I know sounds odd -

So I'm thinking about redesigning it (changing layout etc) and I'd love your thoughts/suggestions.

I'm also thinking about growing it into a community where people share recipes - hopefully good ones. Do you think with the kind of stuff I have on it and well my obvious feckless streak that all the content seems tainted with that this would be possible? - any ideas/suggestions about this would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭JD RoX

Plain and simple. Headings font is a disaster thou, not very good to attract attention

• Registered Users Posts: 14 twimkat

Yeah I really like handwriting fonts but you're right that one isn't great in the smaller sizes. I'll search around for a more legible one.

Any thoughts (critisms) on layout?

Changed the font - it's still a handwriting font but I think it's much more legible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

I find it pretty strange to have EU treaty stuff mixed up with recipes. I would consider focusing the food part of it on one blog, and personal rants on another. This way you wont risk alienating your readers.

There's no problem with cross linking the blogs though in the menus "my personal blog"/"my food blog" kind of thing.

Other than that, as previously said, find a more readable header typeface.
    I'm surprised you chose Joomla 1.5 as a blog management system. Personally, Wordpress is easier for these things, especially with customising themes.
    Might be an idea to include links to twitter/facebook if you have them. Twitters a great way for readers to be notified about new posts.

Love the way the search box blends in with the theme BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

I think it looks great, the only thing is the name is illegible.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Overview I changed twimii to a non-handwriting font. I think it looked better in the handwriting font and I thought it was legible - but then I thought the old handwriting font was legible too until I tried a new one. Anyway what do ye lot think - nicer in handwriting or in type?

Squeeonline you're right - it's a strange mix lol. Maybe I need a different frontpage - one that clearly separates the sections?

I'm not that worried about the rambles & rants alienating readers I'm more worried that my admissions of terrible cockups in the kitchen are far more likely to turn them off.

Like any joomla user I love joomla. Probably if I'd started with wp I'd love that instead but joomla was the first cms I tried and I found it really easy to customize. So..... go joomla! :p

I also started with Joomla, but when I started using Wordpress, I realised that I'd never use Joomla again unless a project absolutely required it.

The new type face is a bit better.

Have you tried the site with a simple textured (or coloured) background to break up all the white? It might look awful but hard to see it without trying it first.

Overflow just saw my mistake there - sorry.

Squeeonline - really what didn't you like about joomla? What would you say is the big advantage to wp?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 188 ✭✭pixeldesign

In my opinion these are the advantages to WP:
    - Easy to code, modify and create themes and plugins
    - Easy to update
    - Very SEO friendly

There's a huge amount more support in terms of plugins and themes. Editing things I find is simpler too.

• Advertisement

I'll have to wp a whirl. Have to say though I've found joomla really easy customize.

Part of the reason for my wanting to redesign the site is because I tend to leave off doing anything with it for stretches and then go back to it so at the back of my mind I've been thinking for a while wouldn't it be nice to get some other contributors - and maybe better recipes ;) on the website. Trouble is I have a real mix of stuff as Squee pointed out.

OK I don't know if any of you kind folks review content as well as style but if you do could you take a quick look at the recipes sections http://twimii.com/recipes and tell me if there is anything right off bat noticeably wrong with them. I was looking at the stats for the site and anytime someone comes to the site via a search for a recipe (rare but it happens) they spend 0 time on the page and back out immediately. Any thoughts as to why would be a great help :o

Advertisement