Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a cream or salve for sore muscles.

Options
  • 24-05-2012 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭

Hi All

I'm just getting back to being someway fit after an extended injury.

I did two five Km runs in the last two weeks but the one I did last tuesday really took it out of my legs.
    I cycle 10 km every day, play football twice a week and do kayaking/swimming at the weekends so I'm at a good enough level of fitness.

My legs now however are very painful and I was wondering other that the usual "Deep Heat" what if anything people use to sooth sore muscles or is it better to have a day off to recover?

Any advice would be great.
    Mods please feel free to move if this is the wrong place for this sort of question, I has a look but could not see a more suitable place.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

spoofilyj wrote: »
    Hi All

I'm just getting back to being someway fit after an extended injury.

I did two five Km runs in the last two weeks but the one I did last tuesday really took it out of my legs.
    I cycle 10 km every day, play football twice a week and do kayaking/swimming at the weekends so I'm at a good enough level of fitness.

My legs now however are very painful and I was wondering other that the usual "Deep Heat" what if anything people use to sooth sore muscles or is it better to have a day off to recover?

Any advice would be great.
    Mods please feel free to move if this is the wrong place for this sort of question, I has a look but could not see a more suitable place.

Was using creams like yourself but they are expensive and no good in the long run. Drink plenty of fluids and if your piss smells funny like ammonia then its the lactic acid coming out so keep drinking fluids after workout. Its best to be sipping often as if you drink like a pint of water in one go you ain't going to absorb it. Compression socks after running. I find the sauna/steam room great. Use the shower nozzle to put hot water over what is sore. Foam roller.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,501 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I tend to use Zum rub for muscles, which is pretty damn good, but I'm not sure if the Irish distributor is still active in Ireland, but you could try the stockists list. I have heard that Tiger Balm is also very good for the same purpose, but have only ever used it for soothing mosquito bites (is there anything that Tiger Balm can't do?!).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

is there anything that Tiger Balm can't do?!.

Yep, don't use it as an anti-chaf lube.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

Yep, don't use it as an anti-chaf lube.:eek:

I think your on the wrong forum :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

I have a tube of Pernaton cream and find it really good. Its actually supposed to be for sore joints but i find it great on a tight hamstring i had. Dries totally leaving no residue also.i got it in a local pharmacy so i reckon it should be in most places. I have zum too and its great but find you have to wash it off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

OP you could probably do with a day off to give legs a break. In general I use a menthol based pain spray which cools the area around the sore muscles. Eucalyptus oil and a couple of other natural oils and alcohol help it to work.

The cooling and then rewarming of the area with fresh blood supply help flush out the lactic acid from the muscles.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭RoverHogan

I tend to use Zum rub for muscles, which is pretty damn good, but I'm not sure if the Irish distributor is still active in Ireland, but you could try the stockists list. I have heard that Tiger Balm is also very good for the same purpose, but have only ever used it for soothing mosquito bites (is there anything that Tiger Balm can't do?!).

+1 on zum muscle rub, and thankfully they have a new European Distributor naturalorigin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

friend of mine uses (and swears by) grape oil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

You can't beat tiger balm, and if you can, get the orange tiger balm it is brilliant for everything!!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Insane1

If its just a bit of DOMS I would say make sure you are getting enough protein daily, 8 hours sleep every night and if you can get your hands on a jar of Harden the F&€k up, you will get through it just fine.. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,331 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Ice Cream makes me feel better

Advertisement