Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for information on breastfeeding

Options
  • 24-05-2012 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm looking for some help on breastfeeding, I am due baby number 6 in July and would love to try breastfeeding as I am certain this is my last baby. I bottle fed my 1st 3 kids as i was unsure how i felt on the whole breastfeeding issue. When i had my 4th baby, a boy, i decided to breastfeed him. I found it very sore but thought this was normal and carried on. I got to day number 4 when the pain was terrible, I was dreading feeding him and broke down, I ended up in the doctor on call as it was a Saturday evening and my GP was closed. The doctor advised me to stop the breastfeeding as he was going to give me pain killers for the sore breasts, also he told me go to my GP Monday. When i saw my GP on Monday she dioganosed me with mastitus and i had an infection gone rite into my breasts, they were both purple in colour and extremely heavy and the pain was so bad I stopped the feeding and he went onto bottles and i ended up on antibiotics and pain killers for 2 weeks. So when i had baby number 5 i just bottle fed him. I was so scared to take the chance of even trying to breastfeed and was happy with my decision but now I would love to try to breastfeed this baby but again I,m so scared that history will repeat itself and I will end up the same way as with baby number 4. Has anyone any view or experience on this? I would really appreciate any views that could help me make up my mind
    regards,
    Deborah.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

There is a great breastfeeding support thread in the newborns and toddlers section of the Parenting Forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭MintyDoris

Egan, I was talking to www.thebreastway.ie at the Baby Fair held at the RDS a few months ago and found them brilliant. This website has a section on contacting lactation consulatants too so whatever part of the country you are in, you will find someone who can help

also www.kellymom.com have a lot of information on BFing

Best of luck to you, I really admire you for considering this on your 6th child

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Egan2012

hi squiggler and mintydoris thanks to you both for your help and also mintydoris for the 2 websites you gave me i have reposted my thread in the newborn and toddlers forum so hopefully ill get more advice

Advertisement