Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish rail bike space.

Options
  • 23-05-2012 9:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

Need some help, I'm trying to order a train ticket from Dublin to Cork with bike space but I can't remember how. I thought there was a checkbox somewhere which you tick but I can't find it. I've only used it once and that was a long time ago.

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Be warned, Irish rail have removed the bicycle reservation service from their site, Though it doesn't tell you anywhere so you just spend hours trying hundreds of different train/destinations/times until the call centre opens. :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

You buy the ticket (€8 each way) for the bike at the station on the day. You can of course (and should as it is cheaper if bought in advance) buy your ticket for your seat online separately.

BTW It is free to take your bike on the new direct Aircoach service. Dublin to Cork, 3 hours, just €22 return. LOL, almost as expensive (€16) to bring a bike on the train as it is to bring a person on the bus!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I was told on the phone I have to buy ticket and bike reservation on the day at the ticket office?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

bk wrote: »
    BTW It is free to take your bike on the new direct Aircoach service. Dublin to Cork, 3 hours, just €22 return. LOL, almost as expensive (€16) to bring a bike on the train as it is to bring a person on the bus!!

Except Aircoach can't guarantee you carriage of a bike on board any one service. From their website...

Q: Can I bring a bicycle or other large luggage on board the
    Aircoach?

A: We value our customers and will do our best to accommodate you. Space permitting we will be happy to transport these items.

You should be fine but it's worth bearing in mind in case they can't accommodate you.

Advertisement