Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

langrange multilier

Options
  • 23-05-2012 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭

hi all, i'm stuck on this questions

Consider a firm that uses two inputs L and K to produce output according to a production function Q=f(L,K). The cost of a unit of L is w and the cost of one unit of K is r. Suppose the firm wants to find the combination of L and K that produce 50 units of output at the cheapest cost.

(a) Write down the optimisation problem for this firm.

well the optimisation would be w+ r < 50.

Am i right ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Something like:

Q=f(L,K) PL=w PK=r: wL+rK<M=50

Lagrangian= Z(L,K,lambda)= f(L,K) + lambda(M-wL-rK)

1. dZ/dL= df/dL - lambda(w) ... df/dL= Marginal Utility of L = MUL
    2. dZ/dK= df/dK - lambda(r) ... df/dK= Marginal Utility of K = MUK

1/2: MUL/w=MUK/r (=Lambda) and wL+rK=50

All differentials are partials and I guess MUL is the marginal product of labour.

I doubt all that's exactly what they're looking for but I would think it's in the ballpark. You might get better help in the economics forum. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

DapperGent wrote: »
    Something like:

Q=f(L,K) PL=w PK=r: wL+rK<M=50

Lagrangian= Z(L,K,lambda)= f(L,K) + lambda(M-wL-rK)

1. dZ/dL= df/dL - lambda(w) ... df/dL= Marginal Utility of L = MUL
    2. dZ/dK= df/dK - lambda(r) ... df/dK= Marginal Utility of K = MUK

1/2: MUL/w=MUK/r (=Lambda) and wL+rK=50

All differentials are partials and I guess MUL is the marginal product of labour.

I doubt all that's exactly what they're looking for but I would think it's in the ballpark. You might get better help in the economics forum. :)

man this would have been useful 4 weeks ago, Feck might have failed Quants, bloody hell.

lol thanks for these someone else will find it useful.

Advertisement