Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Brake line question

Options
  • 23-05-2012 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I've been told that the brake lines need to be replaced on my 96 VW Polo. I won't driving the car for much longer so I'm trying to avoid spending money on it. What I need to know is, what happens if the fail? and will I get any warning before they go? and basically is the car safe to drive?
    Any feedback would be appreciated,
    Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

well are your brakes fairly crap at the moment or you have just been told they need replacing? I think personally if my brakes werent working i wouldnt be driving it anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Sean1986 wrote: »
    I've been told that the brake lines need to be replaced on my 96 VW Polo. I won't driving the car for much longer so I'm trying to avoid spending money on it. What I need to know is, what happens if the fail? and will I get any warning before they go? and basically is the car safe to drive?
    Any feedback would be appreciated,
    Thanks

Nobody will give you an answer on this without seeing the lines and even then they shouldn't!

They could well fail instantly and catastrophically and the outcome of it could be a lot more severe than the cost of brake lines.

If there is a concern about the roadworthiness of the car, particularly in regard to a critical system such as the brakes, it should not be driven.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Sean1986

It's actually the right hand flexi pipe that needs fixing but fair enough, fair point.

Sean1986 wrote: »
    It's actually the right hand flexi pipe that needs fixing but fair enough, fair point.

The flexible pipes are only a few euro and changing is simple and quick for someone that knows anything about cars.

Don't risk doing anything other than changing it.

I actually thought it was the rigid pipes you were referring to when you raised it as an issue / thread.

yes I was unsure myself as the mechanics writing is pretty hard to read but I went back to get clarity on it

• Advertisement

Okay thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

fit the flexi pipe. and decent indy will usually only charge 50 max for the pipe and fitting. if it fails you will have no brakes and could risk damage to your car or worse injury or death to yourself or someone else

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Get it fixed. I've suffered burst flexible pipes twice and its not nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Loosing in effect a breaking circuit is no fun. Get it fixed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement