Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which particle to use?

Options
  • 23-05-2012 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

Hey there!
    So having a little trouble understanding the particle usage in this sentence "won't (you) have dinner tonight?" Is it: (romaji in spoiler)

今晩晩御飯食べませんか。
    konban bangohan o tabemasen ka
    or
    今晩晩御飯食べませんか。
    konban bangohan wa tabemasen ka.

I would have thought was the appropriate particle since it's a verb and the topic is implied... but I'm almost certain the guy on my pimsleur audiotape is saying . I googled parts of both sentences and they seem to be equally prevalent. If they're both correct on some level, what's the difference in emphasis or meaning?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭hibby

Disclaimer: I don't speak Japanese well enough to have a good "feel" for the nuances of meaning in a case like this.

Both are correct sentences. Both work as invitations with essentially the same meaning. Furthermore, in normal speech you could say it without any particle at all: 晩御飯食べませんか.

What's the difference? I'm on shaky ground here and will welcome correction by someone who speaks better. But, here's my take:

"o" in this case means "Shall we have dinner?" whereas "wa" means "How about dinner, shall we have some?"

You could even shorten the sentence to "晩御飯は?" - how about dinner?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭kawaii

Japanese usually try to insert は into negative sentences at least once.

Advertisement