Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

First New Car

Options
  • 23-05-2012 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I am about to buy my first new car. Have always bought little bangers untill now; usually off adverts.ie

Finally have the funds to buy new and am looking for suggestions. My budget is 10,000. I taught that was a fare amount but am having trouble.

The cheapest car I can find is a new Panda in Tallaght Fiat. They want 8995 all in. Comes with 5 year warranty and AA. Have rung them and was insured there are no hidden charges. Is there anything I should watch out for or can I just insist on paying that and no more?

Have looked into a Renault Clio but cant find a 2012 for under 10000. Sure I remember them having a deal for 10000 but cant seem to find it.

Really want a 5 door so if anybody has any ideas. Wont be buying till end of month but with that much cash I am asking everybody's opinion.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Green Diesel

daedilus wrote: »
    The cheapest car I can find is a new Panda in Tallaght Fiat. They want 8995 all in. Comes with 5 year warranty and AA. Have rung them and was insured there are no hidden charges. Is there anything I should watch out for or can I just insist on paying that and no more?

Just on this, the new version of the Panda is out now, so that probably explains why they are selling the old model at this price. It will depreciate quite rapidly going on used-Panda prices. Good car though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭but43r

Kia would be a good option because of the long warranty.
    Looking on DoneDeal they don't seem to depreciate as much as other non-german and non-jap cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

Jarren wrote: »

That could also be something to do with the hideous colour that they chose

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Why settle for a lesser car just because it's new?

Try and find the best car for your budget and needs, don't pay any attention to whether you're the first owner or not.

IMO of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

With that budget i would really think about getting something like 1-2 years old, with guarantee. There is only older model Panda you can buy at this moment. Clio is over your budget - about 3-5 grands. Unless you really want something new, i would think again. 10k will buy you really nice used car, you spend enough time in old bangers, why not get something nice for the money you saved?
    BTW new panda's price is between 12-15k, depends on specs...

• Registered Users Posts: 6 daedilus

Thanks for all the help. Probably sounds silly but have my heart set on new. Think I will keep it for the 5 years it is in warranty. Going to go for a test drive on my lunch break tomorrow. Have looked at the new Panda and would love the upgrade but out of budget. Might give the kia guy a shout too.Will let all know how I get on

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

daedilus wrote: »
    Thanks for all the help. Probably sounds silly but have my heart set on new. Think I will keep it for the 5 years it is in warranty. Going to go for a test drive on my lunch break tomorrow. Have looked at the new Panda and would love the upgrade but out of budget. Might give the kia guy a shout too.Will let all know how I get on

It really does, but hey, it's your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Marcin_diy

I wouldn't like to drive a car I don't like only because it is new , but it is only my opinion.
    I'd prefer to get a 2012 clio for 13500 with 200km on it ( 2 hundred) for ~13500 and take outstanding finance on loan.

- You will be much more happy than driving ugly Panda ( imo)
    - it will be easier to sell than a Panda
    and - it is not a fiat...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,395 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Panda is great craic to drive though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

I know that this isn't the most practical example but if you are prepared to go second hand it's just amazing what you could get for your budget.

Full-11622763.jpeg

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3349310

and which is more impressive "I drive a Panda" or "I drive a Mercedes Sclass"?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Some people are not out to impress others though.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭DYLF

why buy new? second hand saves a fortune. even 1-2 yes old is good as new but cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

You might be able to get a pre-reg? You look like the second owner (so a new-for-old clause in your insurance won't apply) but you get a practically brand new car with a decent discount. I did it in 2010, got a car with a 31K list price for 26K cash (I probably would have gotten a new one for 29K without the pre-reg with a straight deal anyway) with 11 km on the clock.

You might be able to get a 12-13k car for close to your budget if you go that route.

A lot of dealers pre-register cars to fluff up their sales figures (and to have stock ready to ship??) but I understand this might only be done at the start of the year. It's worth ringing around to see if there are any available.

Advertisement