Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Walkmen - Heaven

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Have given this a fair few listens over the past couple of days. Liking what I hear so far, particularly slower, more plodding numbers- first song is great, as is last (can't remember names :o).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Jim_Kiy

if that album is'nt in most critics top 10 albums
    I'll be suprised ).
    Love Is Luck // Heaven is a masterpiece.
    No-one sleeps is another gem.
    Had to check if they would be in Ireland and lucky enough

http://musicscene.ie/2012/05/the-walkmen-confirm-vicar-street-dublin-2012-live-concert-date-for-monday-october-29th/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Jim_Kiy

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭smacg

Have given this a fair few listens over the past couple of days. Liking what I hear so far, particularly slower, more plodding numbers- first song is great, as is last (can't remember names :o).

Same here, seems to be a return to form after their last one that wasnt great. They do seem to be getting a bit mellower tho, not sure there'll be another classic like IN The New Year, or the Rat from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Been trying to get into these guys since I saw them support The National last year (great gig btw!). Need to give this album a proper listen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Waited long enough and can't say anything except; ecstatic. Really up there, as I listen to it more its a 2012 album of the year.

Pity the gig is end of October won't be in the country then :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

This album is excellent, chock-full of wistful, sumptuous melodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭donnacha

Been loving the new album and gutted as I found out this evening I can't now go :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

anyone know who is support on the nite?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭donnacha

notnumber wrote: »
    anyone know who is support on the nite?

wild nothing

• Advertisement

donnacha wrote: »
    wild nothing

Had'nt heard of him . Chinatown the first track I heard I instantly liked..While the buzz off the walkmen has worn away a bit still looking forward to what should be a great gig!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Off topic a bit, but saw a DJ play The Rat in a local nightclub.

Bit self indulgent of him, no one really wants to hear that in such a context. No wonder it shut down soon after.

Decent song, mind.

flyswatter wrote: »
    Off topic a bit, but saw a DJ play The Rat in a local nightclub.

Bit self indulgent of him, no one really wants to hear that in such a context. No wonder it shut down soon after.

I would shake his hand ..legend! I would hardly attribute the failure of a business down to one song that a DJ played.

I would shake his hand ..legend! I would hardly attribute the failure of a business down to one song that a DJ played.

Yeah, as I said I like the song. It was just a major "WTF?" moment to hear that song in a nightclub, I'm just looking at it from the context of a general nightclub audience.

At least that nightclub wasn't like the other one in the town, in that it didn't always stick to obvious mainstream songs, there was a bit of leeway. Maybe a bit tactless, not self indulgent.

But that place had been slipping for a while. It's on sale for about 600 grand now if you fancy it? :pac:

Yeah, as I said I like the song. It was just a major "WTF?" moment to hear that song in a nightclub, I'm just looking at it from the context of a general nightclub audience.

At least that nightclub wasn't like the other one in the town, in that it didn't always stick to obvious mainstream songs, there was a bit of leeway. Maybe a bit tactless, not self indulgent.

But that place had been slipping for a while. It's on sale for about 600 grand now if you fancy it? :pac:

Ah yeah I'll get mortgage approval no sweat! What town are we talking about?
    Bet the other club is making a killing now.

Ah yeah I'll get mortgage approval no sweat! What town are we talking about?
    Bet the other club is making a killing now.

Drogheda, the other club cater for the masses, so I'd say they make a lot more but it's been way more popular for ages.

Lot of potential cos I think the one that's being sold has the better layout, the beer garden is a lot better for example.

I'm turning into an estate agent here :D

Drogheda, the other club cater for the masses, so I'd say they make a lot more but it's been way more popular for ages.

Lot of potential cos I think the one that's being sold has the better layout, the beer garden is a lot better for example.

I'm turning into an estate agent here :D

I find it hard to believe there is only club in a town the size of drogheda but considering the rise of disco piubs its hardling suprising.I get your point now ..while a few would recognise the genuis of the rat others would go wtf ..heard it once myself in the workmans ..but thats the only time in many niteclubs/bars in Dublin...Considering the lyrics of the song which are fairly hardhitting prehaps not the best tune to play to a bunch of beyonce fans or whoever the kids like these days .

I find it hard to believe there is only club in a town the size of drogheda but considering the rise of disco piubs its hardling suprising.I get your point now ..while a few would recognise the genuis of the rat others would go wtf ..heard it once myself in the workmans ..but thats the only time in many niteclubs/bars in Dublin...Considering the lyrics of the song which are fairly hardhitting prehaps not the best tune to play to a bunch of beyonce fans or whoever the kids like these days .

Nah, there's actually another one that attracts an older crowd and a new one that just opened recently. So that's 3 at the moment at least I think.

I'd imagine some nightclub owners would be less happy with a DJ playing that song, it would take people off the dancefloor I'd imagine.

The support wild nothing where not as great as I hoped..seemed to be stuck in a MOR rut where songs didnt really go anywhere..but the the walkmen just owned the place from the opening song.I have to say some of the slower numbers they performed where to me at least ill-advised as was the encore .A less than packed vicar street but a memorable gig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭nomoreindie

The support wild nothing where not as great as I hoped..seemed to be stuck in a MOR rut where songs didnt really go anywhere..but the the walkmen just owned the place from the opening song.I have to say some of the slower numbers they performed where to me at least ill-advised as was the encore .A less than packed vicar street but a memorable gig.

Yeah, wild nothing were nothing special, the walkmen though were excellent such an improvement on the support act. Downstairs was fairly full, but upstairs looked pretty empty, a bank holiday monday didnt help either.

• Advertisement

This is pretty nice of the band.

The many bands currently dealing with Hurricane Sandy show cancellations might want to consider taking a page out of the Walkmen's book. Today on Facebook, the band shared details on how they will creatively make up for an October 6 Philadelphia show cancelled "for some dumb reason". (Thanks to Nina Corcoran for the tip.)
    The Walkmen will prepare a dinner of spaghetti, meatballs, and "cheap canned beer" for fans with ticket stubs for the cancelled show, to be enjoyed prior to the just-announced makeup show, January 11 at Union Transfer. The meal will be served while the band soundchecks "half-assed versions" of songs like Coldplay's "The Scientist" and "Fix You" and Living Colour's "Cult of Personality".

A representative for the band confirms that yes, this is for real, and not a joke.
    According to frontman Hamilton Leithauser, who posted the above image of himself, a group of notable rockers will be there to help dole out the pasta. He names such potential servers as Fleet Foxes, Kurt Vile, the War on Drugs, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Mazarin, and Blood Feathers, "none of whom have been asked." He notes, "there's a very good chance that none of these people may show up." And if you don't have the cancelled ticket stub, never fear: "You can just write in and plead your case," Leithauser writes. "It's not THAT sweet a deal, so the restrictions are sort of lax. Casual attire."
    "We realize it's a headache for everyone in Philadelphia who bought tickets to the cancelled October show," he wrote. "And we've come to understand it's never a good idea to tick off a large group of our neighboring Philadelphians."
    More details will be shared soon. Leithauser asked fans to "RSVP to this Facebook page," which doesn't really work since the message was posted as a photo. "This is my first Facebook post so I honestly don't know if that's even possible," he wrote. "See you there!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

What's a good place to start when listening to The Walkmen?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭smacg

seachto7 wrote: »

got to be 'You and Me' IMO. I've found some of their other stuff a bit patchy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Going to check these guys out now. I will report back haha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

seachto7 wrote: »

Bows and Arrows, I'd say, it was the first album of their's I listened to.

Advertisement