Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fantasy fight: saul alvarez v paul williams

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

This could be an awkward fight for Canelo, he doesn't really do much in the first minute or so of the round. Paul's a volume puncher with a long reach, if he kept up the pace, didn't fight Canelo's fight he could give him serious problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Deadly, Alvarez is stepping it up and it's good to see-ko win for him though-this will be fun while it lasts.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Maravilla33

cowzerp wrote: »
    Deadly, Alvarez is stepping it up and it's good to see-ko win for him though-this will be fun while it lasts.

I'd be surprised if he stops Williams to be honest. Williams isn't exactly chinny. I could be wrong but can only remember Martinez putting him down. Once in their first fight and then that peach of a shot in the 2nd fight. Martinez will never throw a punch like that as long as he lives. That KO has clearly set Williams back but hes still a decent fighter. This will be a good test for Canelo and one I'd say he'll come through with a UD.

Do you think it will be an easy one for Alvarez?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Do you think it will be an easy one for Alvarez?

Not easy, Williams is awkward but I think Canelo is just leagues ahead of him-mid to late rds ko win I reckon.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

I dunno if P Will's heart is really in it, after the KO from Sergio and the deflated "win" over Lara he was all talk of retirement. If he's motivated he could cause Canelo problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,074 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Williams scraped by his last opponent, Lara, in a controversial decision win.

Alvarez isn't a dynamite hitter, will be giving away height and reach. He needs to close the gap, work all night and break Williams' spirit. Williams has a good engine, decent beard; so I see this going the route. Tricky fight for Canelo.

walshb wrote: »
    Williams scraped by his last opponent, Lara, in a controversial decision win.

Alvarez isn't a dynamite hitter, will be giving away height and reach. He needs to close the gap, work all night and break Williams' spirit. Williams has a good engine, decent beard; so I see this going the route. Tricky fight for Canelo.

It was an out and out robbery.. Weren't the judges suspended afterwards? Although Lara would be a tricky opponent for most at 154. Its a good test for Canelo and a nice step up in opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

What an excellent match up. I have always liked Williams, decent boxer all round. Both fighters need the win to elevate themselves for the likes of Floyd. Yet another great fight lined up for this year, The Pro game is alive & well!

boxer.fan wrote: »
    What an excellent match up. I have always liked Williams, decent boxer all round. Both fighters need the win to elevate themselves for the likes of Floyd. Yet another great fight lined up for this year, The Pro game is alive & well!

Yeah now all we need is for some of the boxers to stop failing drug tests and for some of these great match ups to actually go ahead..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭makl

unfortunately have to wait til september... undecided myself. want to watch mosley fight again, not fully convinced alvarez can do this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Boooourns

I think Williams could be a total shell of what he was, he looked terrible against Lara, it was horrible watching him, he looked like he was terrified of being knocked out again. Couldn't believe he got the decision but then again it's hard to be shocked anymore.
    I think it's clever matchmaking and i expect Canelo to win this easily enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭insanity50

Could be a fantastic fight.

Canelo is due a step up in opponents and he's taking a big one.

Any wagers on Canelo-Martinez December 2012 and then Canelo-Mayweather May 2013.

Advertisement