Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much and how often to see an Hygenist

Options
  • 23-05-2012 5:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭

Title says it all really...

Is once a year to often for someone that looks after their teeth and has absolutely no signs of plaque or other nasties from one year to the next?

Are/when are the Dental cleaning lasers gonna be rolled out, they were trialed up the north years ago?

Would regular cleaning end up making it easier for plaque to "stick"?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Ilovelucy

I go to hygienist every six months. I had a lot of work done on my teeth 3 years ago and a root canal last year. Other than the root canal I have had no extra work done on my teeth and I do really think it's by going to the hygienist I have been able to maintain the teeth I have in a reasonable condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Title says it all really...

Is once a year to often for someone that looks after their teeth and has absolutely no signs of plaque or other nasties from one year to the next?

Are/when are the Dental cleaning lasers gonna be rolled out, they were trialed up the north years ago?

Would regular cleaning end up making it easier for plaque to "stick"?

This is like asking how often should you need to wash your car.... Some patients are terrible at brushing and flossing and may have gum disease and so need regular follow up, cleaning and scaling etc... Some patients are very good at cleaning and maintaining their oral hygiene and can get away without the need for regular professional cleaning...

Ask your dentist or hygienist what your specific ideal recall time should be...

Good luck,

OS

Advertisement