Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netbook screen water damage

Options
  • 23-05-2012 3:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,102 ✭✭✭✭

So I spilt beer on my girlfriends netbook, and now the screen is messed up.
    The computer itself works fine, boots up normally and the screen comes up as it should, but the colours are all of. Everything is reeally blurry and has a kind of gray/green hue.

After spilling, I turned it off (It was still on and working for a time), and put it in a bag of rice for a few days. This seems to have absorbed moisture from the main circuitry, and only the screen remains the issue.

Has anyone any experience of anything similar? Ive looked around online but not found anything that was really helpful...other than it may be a problem with the inverter and i should get it replaced.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

Unfortunately there is no real good news for this, but eventually the netbook will burn out if you continue to use it without seeking professional help.
    Beers, coffee and any other liquids that contain ingredients in them leave a residue on the motherboard and other essential parts and through the heat of the computer operating will eventually burn the circuits. You would probably be throwing good money after bad as it will eventually burn out. Water damage is different as it does not leave any residue if caught on time and treated before any real damage is done.
    You may get a year or only a few weeks but bring it to a professional that may be able to clean up the residue and fix the screen.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

The screen is built up of many layers so it could be water got in between these layers. You can replace laptop screens easily enough, I'm not sure how much you'd be looking at but check out ebay, think netbook screens can go for €50 odd :) so its not overly expensive

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 14,102 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Thanks for the responses.

I will bring it in for professional repair, was hoping there might have been something i could do to magically fix it myself though!

Advertisement