Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

V.w. Polo help, Altenator

Options
  • 22-05-2012 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Can anybody tell me where I could buy brushes for my altenator? (V.w. Polo 1.0L 2001 AUC) And roughly how much would I be talking? Thanks in advance :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭richardsheil

• Registered Users Posts: 45 jayreddin

Thanks, would you no of anywhere southside? Preferably near Clondalkin? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Try Almax on Cromwellsfort Road. Not too far from Clondalkin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Why cant you bring it to a repairer? It might not be just those that needs replacing.Other parts could need attention too.

jimmyw wrote: »
    Why cant you bring it to a repairer? It might not be just those that needs replacing.Other parts could need attention too.

I took it all apart the brushes are fine plenty left on them, maybe its the reg on the altenator. Basically symptoms are when driving, every couple of seconds the car stutters like a miss fire, but there is no miss fire i'v checked all sparks and distrabutor. Battery it fine, giving me 15 or so volts. When the car stutters for half a second there is no power in it whats so ever and the battery light on the dashboard flashes once for half a second. Then after a few minutes of driving the car seems to wobble when idling and sounds and feels a miss fire but again no missfire.

Has anyone had simular symptoms or be able to direct me in any way?

Many thanks, Jamie

• Advertisement

I took it all apart the brushes are fine plenty left on them, maybe its the reg on the altenator. Basically symptoms are when driving, every couple of seconds the car stutters like a miss fire, but there is no miss fire i'v checked all sparks and distrabutor. Battery it fine, giving me 15 or so volts. When the car stutters for half a second there is no power in it whats so ever and the battery light on the dashboard flashes once for half a second. Then after a few minutes of driving the car seems to wobble when idling and sounds and feels a miss fire but again no missfire.

Has anyone had simular symptoms or be able to direct me in any way?

Many thanks, Jamie

From what you describe I doubt very much that your alternator has anything to do with your problem. The battery light is comming on because the engine speed has dropped so low that the alternator is no longer able to charge the battery. Something else is causing the engine speed to drop.

It sounds to me like either an ignition or fuel problem.

When does the engine stutter - under load, cruising, slowing down, etc, etc....?

crosstownk wrote: »
    From what you describe I doubt very much that your alternator has anything to do with your problem. The battery light is comming on because the engine speed has dropped so low that the alternator is no longer able to charge the battery. Something else is causing the engine speed to drop.

It sounds to me like either an ignition or fuel problem.

When does the engine stutter - under load, cruising, slowing down, etc, etc....?

Below 3000 revs i'v noticed. It has kinda started to go away its not doing it as much and now its after the car has been running for a few minutes and has heated up. And now its all lights flash for a split second, like all the light as if it was on red befor you turn the engine over. Thanks :D

It could be a number of things. Anything from a temperature sender sending the wrong reading to a vacuum/air leak.

Best to get it hooked up to a diagnostic tool and read the relevant values as the fault occurs.

I'd also check the vacuum hose from the inlet manifold to the brake servo which is a hard plastic that is known to crack (on some Polos) and cause a vacuum leak.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

No, Cross is correct, its not the alternator that's the culprit.Thats the result of the engine almost stalling as was said, and to confirm, you are getting 15 volts so that is fine, if a little high.

When you say it sounds like a misfire, but its not.I don't quite understand.It is either one or its not.My guess is it is a mis, so its going to be an electrical fault i.e plugs, leads, coil pack or a fuel issue, fuel filter, pressure, injectors.

• Advertisement

crosstownk wrote: »
    It could be a number of things. Anything from a temperature sender sending the wrong reading to a vacuum/air leak.

Best to get it hooked up to a diagnostic tool and read the relevant values as the fault occurs.

I'd also check the vacuum hose from the inlet manifold to the brake servo which is a hard plastic that is known to crack (on some Polos) and cause a vacuum leak.

Would it still read an error even dough there is no engine check light on? Like the cars self diagnostics ( engine check/ epc ) lights arn't coming on??

No, Cross is correct, its not the alternator that's the culprit.Thats the result of the engine almost stalling as was said, and to confirm, you are getting 15 volts so that is fine, if a little high.

When you say it sounds like a misfire, but its not.I don't quite understand.It is either one or its not.My guess is it is a mis, so its going to be an electrical fault i.e plugs, leads, coil pack or a fuel issue, fuel filter, pressure, injectors.

Its sounds and feels like a mis fire like you can hear and feel an unbalanced rev in the engine, but i have a spark plug check tool, whitch sits in the engine housing and then the spark plug sits in it and when you turn the engine on you can see the spark in the tool, so i'm taking that all plugs and leads are fine, is there a way for me to test the distrabutor?

Advertisement