Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alcohol Abuse in Family

Options
  • 22-05-2012 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Anybody any experience of having a person in their family who abuses alcohol 4 days a week. And how did they deal with it?

My brother lives at home with my mother and its been slowly getting worse over the years. Hes always feeling sorry for himself , yet he doesnt know how good he has it!! He will own house and has no mortgage and a well paid job. Hes in late 40s.

I would appreciate some tips on how to approach it please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Dont approach it.

You are in a no win situation, you tackle it and he will likely turn on you, you dont deal with it and you are left looking at him abuse himself.

As long as he doesnt affect your mother there isnt alot i think you can do.

You tell him hes got a problem, but be prepared for the consequences.

Do you think by approaching him he will admit his problem and seek treatment? Personally i doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

power2012 wrote: »
    Anybody any experience of having a person in their family who abuses alcohol 4 days a week. And how did they deal with it?

My brother lives at home with my mother and its been slowly getting worse over the years. Hes always feeling sorry for himself , yet he doesnt know how good he has it!! He will own house and has no mortgage and a well paid job. Hes in late 40s.

I would appreciate some tips on how to approach it please?

my mother's family have 4 alcoholics all living in the one house. once my granny dies... one will end up killing the others over the house. my mum has asked her mum to take her out of the will cos she can't be bothered with all the legal costs that will entail when her mother dies as the solicitors would end up costing her more than her share of my grandmother's house is worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Someone who drinks in excess is usually self-medicating. You may know how good he has it but he doesn't and that is what matters. You probably don't know what is really going on with him or what came to this.

My question to you, is how is your mother handling it? She is the one living with him. Is he bothering her? Does she feel unsafe in her home because your brother is unpredictable when he drinks? Has she spoke about it with you, herself?

It is up to you in the end if you want to approach him. You don't have to mention drink, just ask how he is doing. See if he opens up to you. I suggest going to Al-anon for some guidance and support on how to handle in case things were to get worse, better to be prepared and informed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭The_fever

Very common subject and not talked about enough here in Ireland , OP can I suggest you make contact with Al-Anon , wonderful people whose family members loved ones are in the same situation as your.brother . Best of luck

Advertisement