Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese for Leaving Cert outside of school?

Options
  • 22-05-2012 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

I'm thinking of learning Japanese and doing it for the leaving cert, the only problem being that my school doesnt do it. I was wondering how much would it generally cost to learn it outside of school? I live in Maigh Eó btw

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Farcear

Actually, ordinary level doesn't seem too bad -- http://leavingcertjapanese.com/lc2009o.pdf

While admirable and certainly a more practical subject to have on the CV than, say history or geography, I'd be a little wary of doing this if your school has 0 support for it.

(Sad truth is that points are pretty much ALL the leaving cert is about.)

Are you going into your first senior-cycle year in September?

Cost-wise, grinds are usually around €30 per hour for a one-on-one session. If you found someone qualified, who had actually taught someone else before, you could negotiate €50 for two lessons a week I'd imagine. Multiply by 52 weeks for year 1... €2,500. Say 6 months for year 2... €1,250. Probably spend another €200 on books/materials/past papers. So, what, €4,000 total?

Obviously that total changes depending on whether you do ordinary/higher and how good of a mark you need for CAO.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Carlos the Jackal

Farcear wrote: »
    Actually, ordinary level doesn't seem too bad -- http://leavingcertjapanese.com/lc2009o.pdf

While admirable and certainly a more practical subject to have on the CV than, say history or geography, I'd be a little wary of doing this if your school has 0 support for it.

(Sad truth is that points are pretty much ALL the leaving cert is about.)

Are you going into your first senior-cycle year in September?

Cost-wise, grinds are usually around €30 per hour for a one-on-one session. If you found someone qualified, who had actually taught someone else before, you could negotiate €50 for two lessons a week I'd imagine. Multiply by 52 weeks for year 1... €2,500. Say 6 months for year 2... €1,250. Probably spend another €200 on books/materials/past papers. So, what, €4,000 total?

Obviously that total changes depending on whether you do ordinary/higher and how good of a mark you need for CAO.

Thanks for the reply. Yes I'm going into my first senior cycle year (Ive just finished transition year). Costs for materials wouldn't be a problem as I have access to a free printing facility. Would higher level cost much more?

You'd need someone with knowledge of the course. Although, there is generally quite a difference between Ordinary and Higher Level in the leaving cert generally.

I just saw this question on the ordinary level paper:
    D: The following section is designed to test your knowledge of Japanese culture and society. Please answer the following in English.

How do you think the life of a Japanese high school student compares with that of an Irish student?

:(

I seen that myself lol, I was thinking if the ordinary level is this rediculously easy then surely higher level couldnt be too hard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Hey there, I'm taking Japanese outside of school and I'm one of only 2 students in Mayo sitting Japanese this year.

It's very possible to do this in 2 years and sit higher level, despite having no support from school, or even any grinds. My oral last month was the first conversation I had in Japanese and it was fine.

Where in Mayo are you based exactly?

• Advertisement

Hey there, I'm taking Japanese outside of school and I'm one of only 2 students in Mayo sitting Japanese this year.

It's very possible to do this in 2 years and sit higher level, despite having no support from school, or even any grinds. My oral last month was the first conversation I had in Japanese and it was fine.

Where in Mayo are you based exactly?

I'm from Castlebar.

Its good to know there are others taking it. Are you learning on your own without any teacher at all?

Yes. I used a few books, watch anime, have pen pals, play ds in Japanese and use lang8. I'd recommend you try and find other students taking Japanese outside of school and try and talk to them about it, some of the people I have emailed and messaged about it have been so helpful regarding the oral etc.

You'll do well if you make a point of enjoying Japanese, and there is a fair amount of good resources for LC students ie. Perverted coffee's website and the Nihongo Kantan books. (<--- You will need Nihongo Kantan, it is written by the chief examiner and is the LC textbook.)

You should get crackin' this summer and get a head start. You'll be amazed at your progress.

Yes. I used a few books, watch anime, have pen pals, play ds in Japanese and use lang8. I'd recommend you try and find other students taking Japanese outside of school and try and talk to them about it, some of the people I have emailed and messaged about it have been so helpful regarding the oral etc.

You'll do well if you make a point of enjoying Japanese, and there is a fair amount of good resources for LC students ie. Perverted coffee's website and the Nihongo Kantan books. (<--- You will need Nihongo Kantan, it is written by the chief examiner and is the LC textbook.)

You should get crackin' this summer and get a head start. You'll be amazed at your progress.

I'll defo get started soon, thanks for the book recommendations. Do you know if Rosetta Stone is any good? Its very expensive but I happened to have acquired it for free.......

I don't like it.

Assuming you acquired it legally via torrent sites, just install and have a look at it yourself for a bit.

Basically, it plays a sound and you have to match the sound to the picture. It's entirely trial and error.

Yeah, I don't really know if it works or not. You're better off just starting to learn the kana.

Take 10 a day and just learn them off, lots of good videos on youtube. namasensei etc.

09db7e6c.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 swimmom

Hiya. Is anyone getting rid of their Nihongo Kantan book? Don't really care what condition it's in. Would pay up to €15.

:)

Advertisement