Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Translation for Baby's Headstone

Options
  • 22-05-2012 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

My husband and I are looking to have a phrase engraved in Irish on our daughter's headstone, and are looking for help for the proper translation.

We would like to engrave:

Our Sweet Baby Girl

Can anyone help with this? Thank you; we would greatly appreciate it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

Ár leanbh ionúin.
    (Leanbh is not girl-specific..but covers both).

Leaba i measc na n-aingeal go raibh aici.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mr chips

Fenway23 wrote: »
    My husband and I are looking to have a phrase engraved in Irish on our daughter's headstone, and are looking for help for the proper translation.

We would like to engrave:

Our Sweet Baby Girl

Can anyone help with this? Thank you; we would greatly appreciate it.

Firstly, my sincere condolences on your loss. There's very little that can meaningfully be said at a time like this, but I hope you are both able to support one another and find a way through.

For the phrase you want to express, it's difficult to translate directly as the word "sweet" tends to refer to taste, smell or sound. However, the word "aoibhinn" means beautiful or delightful, and is often used to describe a person. I've also heard it used to describe music as well as in expressions of love ("Is aoibhinn liom tú"). So you could also go with:

Ár gcailín beag aoibhinn - our sweet/beautiful little girl.
    Ár leanbh aoibhinn - our sweet/beautiful little child.

I don't want to drown you in options or turn this into an Irish lesson, but if you're not sure of any option suggested then by all means feel free to ask questions, or send me a PM and I'd be more than happy to help you settle on what you feel best reflects what you want to express.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Fenway23

Thank you both very much for your help. We really appreciate it. As you can imagine, we really want to get the phrasing correct, as it will be on Sophia's headstone for all time. Both phrases are beautiful, thank you for your time.

Advertisement