Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I work in the UK for the summer and retain my back to education allowance?

Options
  • 22-05-2012 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hey folks,
    I'm currently a degree student receiving back to education allowance. Since jobs aren't too easy to come by I was planning on going to London for the summer with the hope of being employed til I go back to college in september. Is it possible to sign off for the summer and go back on the allowance in september? Anyone have any experience of doing something similar?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

Yes it's possible.
    From the BTEA guidelines:
    BTEA participants who are progressing to the next year of their course or who are progressing from second level to third level approved undergraduate qualifications will have their BTEA reinstated from the commencement of the new academic year irrespective of whether they were in receipt of an unemployment payment for the summer period.
    So it doesn't matter what you do for the summer - you will need to produce your registration letter in September before payment will issue to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jmezsav

Cheers, have you done this? An friend of a friend was telling me that it's grand to do it in Ireland but if your abroad there's some stipulation about paying taxes in another country, have you heard anything bout this?

Advertisement