Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just finished college.. sign on for stamps??

Options
  • 22-05-2012 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

Hi hope someone here can clarify things a little bit. My son is 18 and just finished his college course and received a letter confirming his course dates were from last sept to june. He has applied for next year but hasn't heard as yet and might have to repeat as he's convinced he didn't do well enough.

He asked around the college what the letter was in aid of and told it because he needs to go and sign on for his stamps even though he won't get welfare as he's not working, Neither his dad nor i claim welfare.

Is this right does he need to go and sign on even though he'll get nothing for doing so?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Lugh Ildanach

Has your son worked either before starting college or during college? You cannot receive creditted contributions if you have a 2 year gap in your social insurance record. If he has a social insurance record, he may be eligible for a Jobseekers Benefit claim rather than a means tested payment, but even if he does not have enough contributions for a payment, it may be that his social insurance record will enable him to receive a creditted contribution, which may be important for future social welfare and/or pension entitlements.

He can also apply for student credits for the period he was studying to be applied to his record if/when he re-enters employment.

If he has not worked previously and has no social insurance record, he can apply to have pre-entry credits applied once he enters employment. He would however have no entitled to any credits until he entered employment.

See here for the Department's guidance on credits - http://www.welfare.ie/EN/OperationalGuidelines/Pages/creditsaward.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Lugh Ildanach

As far as any Jobseekers Allowance claim he may have, he will only not receive anything if your income is above a certain threshold. See here for how parental income affects those claiming who are under 25 http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/irish_social_welfare_system/means_test_for_social_welfare_payments/how_parents_income_can_affect_jobseekers_allowance.html

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

Thanks, no we really didn't think he'd be entitled to anything, even though our income is not great we will manage. And i'm afraid i'm a bit old school in that i think if he's not paid into society then its a cheek to ask society to bail him out. I don't mean that as an offence to anyone on welfare just i want him to realise he has to work for things.

He's going to go down to the welfare office tomorrow and register as a student and they can credit any stamps or at least have it on record he's at college.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

maybe he did a plc course? my partner did last year and as he's a mature student he got all those letters as the school found it easier to just give them to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    maybe he did a plc course? my partner did last year and as he's a mature student he got all those letters as the school found it easier to just give them to everyone.

Yes he did wmpdd. I wouldn't call him a mature student at 18, theres not a great deal of maturity there lol :rolleyes: but you could be right about giving them to all students.

• Advertisement
Advertisement