Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting on the housing list.

Options
  • 22-05-2012 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I am asking here for a friend who is trying to get on the housing list.
    They currently live at home with their parents(28 y.o) and is in reciept of the Disability allowance since early 2009.
    I went to drop off the form for them yesterday and the one that was taking it asked where the rent agreement or something like that was. When I said they still lived at home and had never rented he sent me over to another woman. The reason given on the form for wanting to be put on the list is that his parents are moving house and don't really want him tagging along. She asked me were they selling the family home(which they are not, they are going to rent it out). She said she couldn't really talk anymore to me about and would have to make an appointment and discuss it with the applicant.

Ok, so I was under the impression that when you are over 25 you are assesed seperately from your parents. In this guys case, he will never really have an opportunity to be able to buy/ afford rent and doesn't want to live with his parents for the rest of his life.

But it seemed from the woman that there was no way he was going to put on the list, and he is not entitled to rent allowance either as he needs to have rented for a previous six months or be on the council house list.

Any suggestions or advice as we don't really know how the "system" works.

TIA.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

You should have submitted the form anyway. Contact a disability advocacy group.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Hi yeah she took the form off me. The disability he has is a mental disability that means he can't work. Going down the route seems a little unethical as he doesn't really need assisted living or anything like that. Just wants somewhere to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Your friend might try the St. Vincent de Paul. They work to provide accommodation for people who are vulnerable for one reason or another and who don't meet criteria for local authority housing. The Councils assign certain apartments etc., to the St Vincent de Paul for this purpose. The SVdP may have a long waiting list but it might be worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Thanks for that. You see, they are quite a wealthy family so I don't think its right to ask them for help. He wont be homeless. Maybe there is no option for him other than to stay with his parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Your friend might try threshold as well ,they help people find accomodation and
    may put him in touch with charity,s that help people with disabiltys with their housing needs .

See www.threshold.ie ,they have an office in stoneybatter.

• Advertisement
Advertisement