Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plaster... SOS!

Options
  • 21-05-2012 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

We bought a new house two years ago near Donegal Town and having had the house checked out by an engineer beforehand believed everything to be fine and secure.

The problem we now have is that the external plaster has blow out from all our external walls!!!!! The first sign of any problem was a number of fine cracks in the external plaster work.. which I presumed were just due to house settlement.. oh was I wrong! Now when tapping on the plaster around the entire house is hollow and the plaster has come away from the wall... though it has not yet fallen off!!!

Does anyone know what could have caused this????? I presume at this stage there is little that can be done other than to pick the house and start again! Does anyone know how much it would cost to plaster a 2500 sqft storey and a half house????

By the way our engineer is nowhere to be found!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Captain Bligh

bombadil wrote: »
    We bought a new house two years ago near Donegal Town and having had the house checked out by an engineer beforehand believed everything to be fine and secure.

The problem we now have is that the external plaster has blow out from all our external walls!!!!! The first sign of any problem was a number of fine cracks in the external plaster work.. which I presumed were just due to house settlement.. oh was I wrong! Now when tapping on the plaster around the entire house is hollow and the plaster has come away from the wall... though it has not yet fallen off!!!

Does anyone know what could have caused this????? I presume at this stage there is little that can be done other than to pick the house and start again! Does anyone know how much it would cost to plaster a 2500 sqft storey and a half house????

By the way our engineer is nowhere to be found!

well its hardly his/her fault. are they to stand over something built beyond their control.

1 was it a direct labour build. if so <snip>
    if not find out who built the house. any long standing guy would stand over it

2 sounds like a <snip> plaster job in the first place. most likely poorly scuded, and or dirty sand, with too little cement, and over worked hence the tiny little cracks.

3it must be hacked off, 3:1 scud with sharo sand, 4:1 scratch and 5:1 finish. use lime in mix and twill stick like <snip> to a blanket.

4if i were you id budget 10k/15k dont forget scaffold, hack off, disposal replaster.

the self builders on here will probably be back in a flash with their two pence worth

good luck mate. i feel for you

This poster has closed his account

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭plasteritup

alrite buddy,also have a look at the beading,seen this happening when the lads plastering it stick on the beads with internal adhesive,stuff fails in the rain and weather and runs behind the render and pops the lot,worse and more aggresive if ur near the coast.

ya the money is in the mess on this job whatever caused it,awfull thing to happen,lads that done that should be ashamed,total insult to the trade and sickening to see.:mad:

best of luck with.

Advertisement