Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New PC Build

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Boulavogue

Any input welcome!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Get two of these kits instead for the RAM, saves you €50:
    http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=56816&agid=1193

A 1KW PSU is total overkill, you don't have a single graphics card. The 450W Amazon will do you fine, and even then its more than you need.

Sabretooth is overkill as well, get the ASRock Extreme4 instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

DO you have ANSYS (thats that finite element software?) on a work machine or something? If you do you could check to see if it is mutlithreaded or not (how many cpu cores it uses) which you can check by running it and opening task manager. If it isnt multi threaded you could save some money by getting an i5 prcoessor, and perhaps overclocking for greater performance.

Will you need windows? Bear in mind (if you actually need 32 GB of ram) that i dont think windows 7 home will register more than 16GB - though i am open to correction on that. You would need Pro, or ultimate.

Also RAM speed doesnt make much difference anymore on the newer intel platforms so if you can find a cheaper set i would go with that.

Are you planning to set the two hard drives up in raid for speed? You would be better off getting an SSD for windows and programs. I wouldnt go back to a normal hard drive now now that i know the difference it can make just to general usage.

You can also cut down on the PSU, 1000W is a huge amount, would only be needed for running two or three power hungry graphics cards. You dont have any graphics card listed so presume you wont need that sized PSU. Maybe a good brand 500W, if you want to spend extra get a modular one to keep the case tidier inside for airflow.

Advertisement