Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with the dentist - bonding

Options
  • 21-05-2012 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I went to the dentist yesterday to get my chipped front teeth fixed. They had been previously fixed but the composite bonding needed to be replaced as it was discoloured. During my initial consultation three weeks ago I discussed all this with the dentist and he said that it was easy to fix and it would be no problem. Also I have a gap between my teeth which I definitely did not want fixed by bonding as I am looking into getting braces due to gaps and protruding teeth and want to do it properly.

Anyways he fixed my gap, it looks awful, I hate it, and as my front teeth stick out it looks like I have one giant rabbit tooth. I never in a million years thought that he would fill in the gap, as it just looks ridiculous. What can I do? I was so horrified and upset and I said nothing as the dentist is a lovely man..

Should I go and ask for my gap back or just wait for the orthodontist to file it back to normal? I'm sure the dentist will think I am mental to ask for him to fix (or unfix it) it...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

get your dentist to sand it down, it should only take a few seconds.
    hindsight being as good as it is, you should've said it there and then, your dentist wouldn't be offended. well... shouldn't be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 liueta

Thank you for your advice ballsymchugh. Are you a dentist yourself? Can I ask your opinion on something...

When I asked to have the chipped teeth repaired I thought that the dentist would remove the stained composite, especially on one as it was a temporary filling that has a lot of uncomfortable build up on the back. But he has just filed them down and put more white filling on top. You can still where the tooth chipped originally and the new bonded part is slightly darker than the actual tooth.

Is that what dentists normally do in cases like this? I would have thought the tooth wouldn't be that strong...

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ovalu

liueta wrote: »
    I went to the dentist yesterday to get my chipped front teeth fixed. They had been previously fixed but the composite bonding needed to be replaced as it was discoloured. During my initial consultation three weeks ago I discussed all this with the dentist and he said that it was easy to fix and it would be no problem. Also I have a gap between my teeth which I definitely did not want fixed by bonding as I am looking into getting braces due to gaps and protruding teeth and want to do it properly.

Anyways he fixed my gap, it looks awful, I hate it, and as my front teeth stick out it looks like I have one giant rabbit tooth. I never in a million years thought that he would fill in the gap, as it just looks ridiculous. What can I do? I was so horrified and upset and I said nothing as the dentist is a lovely man..

Should I go and ask for my gap back or just wait for the orthodontist to file it back to normal? I'm sure the dentist will think I am mental to ask for him to fix (or unfix it) it...

never a good idea to go to a dentist on a Sunday

ovalu wrote: »
    never a good idea to go to a dentist on a Sunday

oops! Of course I meant Saturday not yesterday... but thanks for your helpful comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 pixieprinny

liueta wrote: »

Go back to the dentist and say you're not really happy and you don't think you can get use to it.

Your orthodontist most likely will not file it down for you... Your dentist should have removed the filling in full and replace it (depending on the size of the chip and filling in the tooth)

Over time, you're going to experience a slight stain where your natural tooth meets the filling. Usually your dentist buffing it out gently at check-up will remove it.

Have you been for a consult with an orthodontist?? You should discuss the chipped issue with him and get his option whether he thinks a comp. filling will look pleasing or whether a crown would be suited better after ortho work (but as i said it depends on the size of the filling)

Just go back to the dentist in the meantime, its much easier to take away filling. you wont even need to be numbed up or anything. probably be in and out within 15mins

* I'm a qualified dental nurse

• Advertisement

Your orthodontist most likely will not file it down for you... Your dentist should have removed the filling in full and replace it (depending on the size of the chip and filling in the tooth)

impossible to say without seeing the patient. any other advice is really just guesswork here.

impossible to say without seeing the patient. any other advice is really just guesswork here.

True, everything is guesswork / personal advice on here is it not?? :p

The issue here is the fact the dentist didn't explain what he was doing and the OP discussed replacement of the discoloured filling at the consultation stage. And now they're running around with a "giant rabbit tooth" that's still discoloured

If they go to an orthodontist for a consultation, its very unlikely the ortho is going to repair/alter the filling at a consultation stage....

The issue here is the fact the dentist didn't explain what he was doing and the OP discussed replacement of the discoloured filling at the consultation stage. And now they're running around with a "giant rabbit tooth" that's still discoloured

If they go to an orthodontist for a consultation, its very unlikely the ortho is going to repair/alter the filling at a consultation stage....

not mentioned in the OP, what is said is that they didn't explain to the dentist that they weren't happy. you're guessing again. wouldn't guess against an orthodontist being able to reshape the composite filling either. strange things can happen.

wouldn't guess against an orthodontist being able to reshape the composite filling either. strange things can happen.

Never said anything about an ortho not being able to reshape the filling

Anyways this is beginning to turn into a trolling situation, so good luck getting the tooth sorted liueta

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I'd prefer not to have to start handing out warnings.

• Advertisement

Hello there pixieprinny, thanks for your advice. Yeah i'll talk to the dentist on my next appointment and get him to file it slightly (as I should have done in the first place). As a matter of interest do you know what the story is with how long composite fillings generally last if they are not removed and just 'topped up'? It doesn't feel strong or comfortable at the moment and I don't particularly want to shell out another £150 in a few months.

I know its hard to give advice when you are not actually able to see the tooth but I really do appreciate advice and opinions of people who have experience in this area.. so thanks!

Advertisement