Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A few questions (mostly regarding wisdom teeth).

Options
  • 21-05-2012 5:46pm
    Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭

I'm not working, but nor am I on the medical card. I am several years overdue to get my wisdom teeth out. They are impacting and cause me very occasional pain and crowding. What is the cheapest option for me? I heard Trinity College dental students do work for a small fee? Getting on the medical card isn't really an option, I'm leaving the country soon, and would rather have this work done before I leave.

Is it possible to lose teeth because the wisdom teeth impact so much? My top ones have caused an overlap on my front teeth, and the overlapping one feels looser than it should. I can get some of my molars on the bottom to move now as well, with a bit of a push.

I just bought an electric toothbrush. I find it quite good, but I have a rather large filling towards the back that was done in Greece at least 15 years ago I'd say. It's a metal one, silver coloured, that's all I can say. I might be paranoid, but I think that the electric toothbrush is damaging it. This is possible right? I might get it replaced. Have they invented white fillings yet? :P

I have pretty good dental hygiene, I always brush twice a day, and yet I'm not happy with my gums. For years they have been receding; I'm guessing the wisdom teeth have a role to play in this. Is there food types or medication I can use to build up my gums at all. I was told I could be brushing too hard, and that was what was causing it, so I switched to an electric toothbrush.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Andy!! wrote: »
    Anyone?

Busy now, will reply later Andy...

Thanks. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dianthus

Andy,if you can move some of your molar teeth,you have gum disease,&there is a risk you will lose these teeth in the future, if they become progressively looser.
    Wisdom teeth can lead to food trapping, decay& gum disease, but not always.
    Any toothbrush,electric or manual,will only clean 3 of the 5 sides (ie:60%) of the tooth suface. Without flossing daily, tartar builds up->gum disease.
    Try to see a dentist ASAP,for a checkup at the very least. Then prioritise. Good luck.

Thanks Dianthus. Anyone else got any input, or know about the Trinity College Dental service, or another very cheap service?

• Advertisement

I'm not working, but nor am I on the medical card. I am several years overdue to get my wisdom teeth out. They are impacting and cause me very occasional pain and crowding. What is the cheapest option for me? I heard Trinity College dental students do work for a small fee? Getting on the medical card isn't really an option, I'm leaving the country soon, and would rather have this work done before I leave.

Hi Andy,

Impacted/ partially erupted wisdom teeth may cause problems by causing food impaction, stagnation and infection (pericoronitis) or sometimes decay of the wisdom tooth or the tooth it touches... Crowding caused by wisdom teeth is debatable.... Bottom line is if causing problems- they will need removal at some stage, probably best to do it before they cause you infections or possibly damage adjacent teeth....

Cheapest option is to get a medical card and be seen in a dental hospital or general hospital that offers this service.... But you may not qualify & it takes time to get a MC and there are seriously long waiting lists for these services (years)...

Removal of wisdom teeth in a dental hospital still goes through the oral surgery department and they charge a decent fee (e245 for a lower wisdom tooth) regardless of having it removed by a 4th year student or a consultant (you're more likely to get the lesser qualified....) Still waiting list is years....

If no MC and moving soon, the cheapest option is having the work done in stages under local anesthesia or together under IV sedation. General anesthesia is expensive if no medical insurance. Some operators will do a rate/deal for all wisdom teeth under IV sedation...

Is it possible to lose teeth because the wisdom teeth impact so much? My top ones have caused an overlap on my front teeth, and the overlapping one feels looser than it should. I can get some of my molars on the bottom to move now as well, with a bit of a push.

Yes possible to lose adjacent teeth due to gross decay of the molar that the wisdom tooth impacted against... Sometimes an impacted wisdom tooth can cause a gum disease defect of the adjacent tooth too...

Crowding of front teeth due to impacted wisdom teeth is debatable...

As mentioned before, mobile teeth are not good and a likely sign of periodontal disease and bone loss. Get this seen to asap as it will lead to the loss of these teeth if left untreated....

I just bought an electric toothbrush. I find it quite good, but I have a rather large filling towards the back that was done in Greece at least 15 years ago I'd say. It's a metal one, silver coloured, that's all I can say. I might be paranoid, but I think that the electric toothbrush is damaging it. This is possible right? I might get it replaced. Have they invented white fillings yet? :P

Electric tooth brushes are grand... Get the state of your gums checked out due to the mobility... A tooth brush should not damage a filling, if it feels odd then it likely needs replacing... White fillings are now available in some clinics:D

I have pretty good dental hygiene, I always brush twice a day, and yet I'm not happy with my gums. For years they have been receding; I'm guessing the wisdom teeth have a role to play in this. Is there food types or medication I can use to build up my gums at all. I was told I could be brushing too hard, and that was what was causing it, so I switched to an electric toothbrush.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

Brushing twice a day is good but you may not be brushing effectively etc etc. Receding gums can be a sign of gum disease or over aggressive brushing & scrubbing with a hard brush so neither is good. The wisdom teeth won't cause generalized gum disease....
    A good diet will help fruit veg etc but...

Good luck,
    OS

Thanks for the detailed post :) I am hoping to move to South Korea soon and I'll have 50% medical insurance there because of the job, maybe I'll wait and get any neccesary work done there. Anything I can be taking in case there is some gum disease? I'm using Corsodyl, but is there anything else over the counter I can take?

Thanks for the detailed post :) I am hoping to move to South Korea soon and I'll have 50% medical insurance there because of the job, maybe I'll wait and get any neccesary work done there. Anything I can be taking in case there is some gum disease? I'm using Corsodyl, but is there anything else over the counter I can take?

No there is no medication that can help... Sounds like you need to be seen for a full examination and cleaning.

Does your 50% medical insurance cover dental??

Best advice is to see a dentist straight away because it sounds like you have active dental disease.

Advertisement