Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Email been given out by a club so someone else?

Options
  • 21-05-2012 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭

How do,
    My mother recently got an unsolicited email from a business she has no contact with or interest in offering some deals she doesn't care about. The CC list was full though of all people (a lot of people) she recognised from been in a local club with her. As she scrolled down the email she realised that the email was just a response from an original email with the spam included (the sender obviously isn't too tech savy :rolleyes:). The original email is from someone that used to be involved with the club saying something along the lines of 'Here's their addresses. Don't mention me or the club though, may get into some trouble'. Well, it's plainly obvious what has happened. The person has taken all the emails from the clubs mailing list and distributed them to someone else for their spam. Obviously, my mother and I imagine everyone else on the list is infuriated to say the least. Have any laws been broken here? Probably not but we would like to pursue this if possible or at the very least scare the sender into not sending their details onto anyone else.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yes, this is a breach of the data protection act.

You can make complaint to the data protection commissioner:

http://www.dataprotection.ie/ViewDoc.asp?fn=/documents/rights/2f.htm&CatID=21&m=r

Though if this is a small club, it might worth dealing with it internally and having the person responsible ejected. The outcome of the complaint may result in a fine against club itself, which may not be desirable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

If you want to just scare the person into not doing it any more, call up the person who gave out the details and pretend you're from some bogus official anti email fraud detection unit and they need to send a picture of them with a shoe on their head to you for identification reasons. allow hilarity to ensue and post your results. enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

seamus wrote: »
    Yes, this is a breach of the data protection act.

You can make complaint to the data protection commissioner:

http://www.dataprotection.ie/ViewDoc.asp?fn=/documents/rights/2f.htm&CatID=21&m=r

Though if this is a small club, it might worth dealing with it internally and having the person responsible ejected. The outcome of the complaint may result in a fine against club itself, which may not be desirable.
    Cheers for that, don't want to pursue the club at all. This person is not involved with them anymore so nothing to do with them. They obviously still have all the contacts saved though. I'll ask herself and see what she wants to do.

Advertisement