Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Worth giving this an OC?

• 21-05-2012 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭

Wondering if there is any benefit of having a crack at Oc'ing this for a little extra juice?

CPU :
    AMD Phenom II X4 Quad Core 955 Black Edition "125W Edition" 3.20GHz (Socket AM3) - Retail

RAM :
    Corsair XMS3 8GB (4x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit (CMX4GX3M2A1600C9)

GPU :
    Asus GeForce GTX 560Ti DirectCU II TOP 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card

Motherboard :
    ASRock 970 Extreme3

HDD :
    500GB
    1TB

SSD :
    OCZ Agility 3 60GB 2.5" SATA-3 Solid State Hard Drive (AGT3-25SAT3-60G)
    Bought with mobo Crucial M4 128GB SSD 6,4cm (2,5")

PSU :
    650watt ( I think )

Case :
    Antec 300 Gaming Case

Have some additional fans and a new heatsink on the CPU which runs at about 30-40 on load, so my temps are pretty low while on load.

Just always read about people talking about OC'ing potential for parts, but never bothered looking into it.

Cheers,
    Dan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Yeah, I don't see why not. You should easily manage 3.6GHz-3.8Ghz without too much difficulty or temperature change with that CPU. After that, I find that you have to start putting in a lot of voltage to get the higher numbers.
    Not an enormous overclock but it would help things along a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

You can use this first to see what your CPU can do. http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/amd-overdrive/pages/overview.aspx
    Then after, OC it in your BIOS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

@TheDoc Do you mind me asking how you find that motherboard? It's just I was able to pick up a bundle on the cheap for my brother's ageing Athlon X2 6000+ consisting of that motherboard, 4GB of RAM and a Phenom X4 965. It seems pretty decent (Sata3, Usb 3.0 etc.) and I love the black PCB :cool:.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Eboggles wrote: »
    @TheDoc Do you mind me asking how you find that motherboard? It's just I was able to pick up a bundle on the cheap for my brother's ageing Athlon X2 6000+ consisting of that motherboard, 4GB of RAM and a Phenom X4 965. It seems pretty decent (Sata3, Usb 3.0 etc.) and I love the black PCB :cool:.

Well I'm actually getting rid of it. I'm upgrading to a new one, so mine is actually up for a new home.

Granted I'm waiting for a RMA on the new one I got : /

I'll apologise in advance for the "necro" but this thread is somewhat still relevant.

I never went ahead with overclocking my CPU. My new motherboard arrived and I forgot to remove a bracket for my third party CPU heatsink, so didn't want to run the risk on the sotck one.

but alas I got my after market fan back ( its one of those hyper evo thingies) and I'm looking to overclock.

I mainly play world of warcraft, a highly CPU intensive game, and I want to squeeze as much performance as I can.

I'm toying with the idea of maybe buying a new cpu and motherboard, but figure why the hell not overclock and see how I get on.

My original post was two years old, but wondering if maybe there is more first hand experience of people overclocking this CPU, and if anyone can make some recomendations or share some experiences?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Yeah, I have one. I found that some versions of it run fairly hot and don't have much overclock room. Others work great. Keep a close eye on temperatures.

Monotype wrote: »
    Yeah, I have one. I found that some versions of it run fairly hot and don't have much overclock room. Others work great. Keep a close eye on temperatures.

Just came home and checked my temps at present

48-49 without doing a thing.

Im missing a bracket of my 212 evo cooler, I remember it was running at 28 degress with that on. Must find the bracket and put abck on the evo cooler before I go near overclocking. From what I've read today I can definitly get the bumps, but need to keep it below 50 degrees

Advertisement