Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

Eurovision 2012

  • 21-05-2012 12:30pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭ Mgoraf


    The semi-finals start tomorrow. Anyone having any bets on this years competition?

    I think Ireland to finish ahead of England at 11/10 is an outstanding bet.

    Sweden are the current 15/8 favourites



«1

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 559 DB74


    Yeah that bet to finish ahead of UK is good

    I like the 13/8 for Ireland to get at least one maximum in the final with Stan James. Jedward will be well known in UK and we should get 12-points from them at least.


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭ wp_rathead


    Mgoraf wrote: »
    The semi-finals start tomorrow. Anyone having any bets on this years competition?

    I think Ireland to finish ahead of England at 11/10 is an outstanding bet.

    Ireland is 6/5 on PP to beat UK

    Best to wait to see if we qualify for final though don't ya think?


    Purely going on the odds, Sweden to be top Scandinavian country at 4/9 looks lumpable
    The outright winners of Eurovision from the 5 countries are:
    Sweden 15/8
    Denmark 20/1
    Iceland 20/1
    Norway 25/1
    Finland 150/1

    So Sweden seem to be well ahead


  • Registered Users Posts: 559 DB74


    wprathead wrote: »
    Purely going on the odds, Sweden to be top Scandinavian country at 4/9 looks lumpable
    The outright winners of Eurovision from the 5 countries are:
    Sweden 15/8
    Denmark 20/1
    Iceland 20/1
    Norway 25/1
    Finland 150/1

    So Sweden seem to be well ahead

    Best to wait to see if Sweden qualify for final though don't ya think?

    :p;)


  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭✭ me m


    women bets :rolleyes:


  • Registered Users Posts: 15,118 ✭✭✭✭ MrJoeSoap


    me m wrote: »
    women bets :rolleyes:

    Women vote. Men bet.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭ Cartel Mike


    Yello sun glasses bought ...check
    Alcopops bought ......check
    Lighter fluid bought.....check
    Lederhosens ironed and pressed...check

    I'm ready already

    Sweden all the way.


  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 41,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Lord TSC


    Ireland should easily outplace England; England are on first on Saturday night which is a death spot, Jedward are popular enough in the mainland that they'll get plenty of points, England always do poorly, AND their song isn't all that great. Easy money.


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,590 ✭✭✭✭ Rjd2


    me m wrote: »
    women bets :rolleyes:

    Nope, it generates a lot of turnover for bookmakers, so its a little more than women betting on it.:)


  • Registered Users Posts: 559 DB74


    OMG!!!!!!

    We are SOOOO there!


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ GetWithIt


    A bit of an after timing, but Albania were a great bet to go through (10 from 18) tonight. PP didn't seem to know where to pitch them and they swing in and out 8/15 - 4/5 - 1/4 - 1/2.


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 heavyballs


    GetWithIt wrote: »
    A bit of an after timing, but Albania were a great bet to go through (10 from 18) tonight. PP didn't seem to know where to pitch them and they swing in and out 8/15 - 4/5 - 1/4 - 1/2.
    eh yeah..........just 'a bit':rolleyes:


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,969 ✭✭✭ thesandeman


    Only bet I did is somebody to get 'nul points' @ 10/1 with Boyles. Between that and the the Jedheads and a few cans it should keep me in on Sat night.


  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭ cup of tea


    wprathead wrote: »
    Ireland is 6/5 on PP to beat UK

    Best to wait to see if we qualify for final though don't ya think?


    Purely going on the odds, Sweden to be top Scandinavian country at 4/9 looks lumpable
    The outright winners of Eurovision from the 5 countries are:
    Sweden 15/8
    Denmark 20/1
    Iceland 20/1
    Norway 25/1
    Finland 150/1

    So Sweden seem to be well ahead


    Looks like a great call


  • Registered Users Posts: 2 macco007


    Guys i reckon that Sweden will win it....I fancy Albania as an each way bet at 80/1 though.

    Ireland to beat UK is a shoe in but reckon odds will be around 4/7 or so!


  • Registered Users Posts: 15,118 ✭✭✭✭ MrJoeSoap


    macco007 wrote: »
    Guys i reckon that Sweden will win it....I fancy Albania as an each way bet at 80/1 though.

    Ireland to beat UK is a shoe in but reckon odds will be around 4/7 or so!

    Ireland and the UK are in or around the same price pretty much everywhere. 4/7 would be a poor price for Ireland to beat the UK, in that sense.

    http://www.oddschecker.com/specials/tv/eurovision/winner


  • Registered Users Posts: 2 macco007


    MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Ireland and the UK are in or around the same price pretty much everywhere. 4/7 would be a poor price for Ireland to beat the UK, in that sense.

    http://www.oddschecker.com/specials/tv/eurovision/winner

    Good point....Looks like PP are going safe at 10's Ireland whereas other companies are going 16's or 20's. Should be interesting. Albania at 80/1 may be worth an each way punt for value....Also that one from Greece is MINT!!!:p


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭ Ficheall


    I'm new to this - perhaps one of you could explain:

    Iceland, for example, were at 20:1 with Boylesports. They qualified from their semi-final, and are now at 66:1.
    This seems to be the case almost across the board - the odds seem to have increased after they made it through their first round. And it wasn't that they put in a goddawful performance or anyone else proved themselves a guaranteed winner. Can anyone explain why this might be so?


  • Registered Users Posts: 15,118 ✭✭✭✭ MrJoeSoap


    Ficheall wrote: »
    I'm new to this - perhaps one of you could explain:

    Iceland, for example, were at 20:1 with Boylesports. They qualified from their semi-final, and are now at 66:1.
    This seems to be the case almost across the board - the odds seem to have increased after they made it through their first round. And it wasn't that they put in a goddawful performance or anyone else proved themselves a guaranteed winner. Can anyone explain why this might be so?

    Are you sure they were 20/1 to win the whole competition and not to win the semi-final?


  • Registered Users Posts: 15,118 ✭✭✭✭ MrJoeSoap


    Or maybe somebody was heard humming their tune in a lift... :D


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭ Ficheall


    MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Are you sure they were 20/1 to win the whole competition and not to win the semi-final?
    Positive, aye. Though I see some more countries have had their odds decreased than I thought, but it seems that by and large the odds have increased.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,546 ✭✭✭✭ okidoki987


    Iceland, for example, were at 20:1 with Boylesports. They qualified from their semi-final, and are now at 66:1.

    If they were deffo that price to win it outright, it could be 1 or 2 reasons:
    1: The song was a lot worse than expected or performed worse
    or
    2: the actual finishing result of the Semi is known to a certain few and the odds reflect where they finished in the Semi via Betfair/Betdaq and their chances of winning the competition.


  • Registered Users Posts: 936 Fonze07


    Been following the eurovision for a while now betting wise and have made a profit in 5 of the last 6 years.

    Sweden should win it outright but they are very skinny to be betting on in my opinion. Their odds range from evens to 11/8. They have an alright draw for the final too singing 17th out of 26 countries. Their odds would have drifted had they have gotten an early draw but those odds are only going to get worse.

    My main tip for people is to back SERBIA EW at 12/1 with PP. They are as short as 7/1 with BET365. I feel they are excellent value to finish in the top 4. They are drawn 24th out of 26 so an excellent draw for them.

    That will be my main bet.
    Small stake also on Italy EW at 10/1 withBET365 (8s with PP)


  • Registered Users Posts: 936 Fonze07


    Ficheall wrote: »
    I'm new to this - perhaps one of you could explain:

    Iceland, for example, were at 20:1 with Boylesports. They qualified from their semi-final, and are now at 66:1.
    This seems to be the case almost across the board - the odds seem to have increased after they made it through their first round. And it wasn't that they put in a goddawful performance or anyone else proved themselves a guaranteed winner. Can anyone explain why this might be so?

    There were reports of bad vocals on the night of their semi final and it was heavily criticised afterwards even though they made it to the final so i think Iceland's price drift is a mix of the poor draw and not great vocal, plus live performance not matching the official video. They are drawn 7th for the final


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭ BQQ


    Fonze07 wrote: »

    My main tip for people is to back SERBIA EW at 12/1 with PP. They are as short as 7/1 with BET365. I feel they are excellent value to finish in the top 4. They are drawn 24th out of 26 so an excellent draw for them.

    Agree 100%. (standout 16/1 on bwin by the way)
    Balkan vote sewn up. reminds me of the song they won with a few years back.

    Also think Azerbaijan are good each way value @66/1. Can see them sneaking into the top 4.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭ pushki


    Maybe im just being naive but i put a tenner on Ireland to win odds10/1


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭ BQQ


    pushki wrote: »
    Maybe im just being naive but i put a tenner on Ireland to win odds10/1

    Worst odds you could get. most bookies go 25/1. can get 28/1 in places


  • Registered Users Posts: 936 Fonze07


    pushki wrote: »
    Maybe im just being naive but i put a tenner on Ireland to win odds10/1

    Tell me you didn't back them at 10/1?

    Can be backed at 28/1 with Sporting Bet, 25/1 with BET365 and can be got at 35/1 on Betfair


  • Registered Users Posts: 15,118 ✭✭✭✭ MrJoeSoap


    pushki wrote: »
    Maybe im just being naive but i put a tenner on Ireland to win odds10/1

    So naive. 10/1 is shocking. You can get nearly three times that on the exchanges.

    http://www.oddschecker.com/specials/tv/eurovision/winner/bet-history/ireland


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭ pushki


    Oh god really i haven't a clue about betting might put A tenner on betfair too so.what's throught worst that can happen:-P


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭ BQQ


    BQQ wrote: »
    Agree 100%. (standout 16/1 on bwin by the way)
    Balkan vote sewn up. reminds me of the song they won with a few years back.

    Also think Azerbaijan are good each way value @66/1. Can see them sneaking into the top 4.

    Serbia 3rd.

    Azerbaijan 4th.

    I'm the Eurovision king. :cool:..........:o


Advertisement