Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newlands Golf Club - Thoughts?

Options
  • 21-05-2012 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi All,
    First post but long time lurker!
    Just looking to get some feedback on Newlands Golf club. Am very close to joining and would love to get your thoughts and feedback on the place.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Dtoffee

Great course, well maintained with a newly developed clubhouse.

Only issues I've heard of is timesheet and money ..... they spent heavily on the development (hence chasing new members).

I would say go for it, best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Whyner

Thinking about it also

I can't even find any course info or pictures on their site, anyone? Kevin - betcha you've some?

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭WH BONNEY

Newland's is a mature parkland course recently redesigned by Jeff Howes.

The redesign was a result of the effect of a c.p.o. on a small piece of land for which the club received a large compensation award all of which was reinvested in the course.

The course is a good test off the back tees where accurate driving is at a premium. The greens are excellent, are all sand based, but can be very fast with some very tricky pin placements.

The main problems I see in the course are the bunkers, balls have a tendency to plug a lot.

I am sure if you contact the Secretary Manager he would facilitate any prospective new member with a free round.

The comments above about "spending heavily" and "chasing members" are misinformed.

Obviously I am a member.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 The Clam

Thanks for the feedback lads, I couldn't get over the quality of the course and the greens were just fantastic. The membership fee has come down again this year so I think it'll be Newlands for me...thanks again.

What's it like for getting on the timesheet on weekday evening and weekend?

In SC the timesheet opened on the Wed morning before Sat week, i.e 10 days-ish

What about practice facilities?

Thanks for the last post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 The Clam

I actually asked another member up there pretty much the same questions when I was there recently.
    Timesheets generally open 7 days in advance of a comp and you would need to be up early to get a good time (i.e. early), for the bigger comps (the medals and the Captains prize), they can open up to 3 weeks in advance. Evening golf is one of the most important (and enjoyable) reasons for joining in my view, he said generally you can turn up and play but again you can book it online to be safe.
    As for practice facilities, I saw 2 different putting greens, one of which you can chip onto, I wa told there are nets but I didn't see them and there is a range aswell as you cross over from one hole to another - I think its the 9th onto the 10th.

For the week-ends the majority of timesheets go live in the pro shop from 7am usually one week in advance, they then go live online one hour later.

To secure a sunday morning time between 7.30 & 9.00 you would probably need to be in the shop at 7.00am the week before.

Weekday evening should not be too difficult but the ladies have Tuesday till 6, Wednesdays (a society within the club open to all men) have the sheet till 6 and the Thursday have each Thursday 5 - 7.

There is an excellent short game area and the practice ground is limited enough allowing you to hit shots of about 220 yards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭garancafan

The range (between 9th and 10th as the clam has said) is quite small and would be unsuitable for more than 4 golfers). It is also quite short - certainly not suitable for woods. There is a further practice-green (inside the gate on the left) that is in play in winter but allocated to practice in summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

I'd be a fan of Newlands. It's a long established club, with a well looked after course. Some relations of mine (now in their 80s) were very long-term members and loved the place.

The greens have only ever been good when I was there, and while the course itself is a little bit unremarkable (comparable to Headfort Old or Royal Tara), it's not bad.

The club house is good, and a nice size. The practice greens are good and even though the range may be short, it's ideal for short and mid-irons practice with your own golf balls, and right beside the club house / first tee, so not a big treck to get a warm up in (a-la Milltown).

Karl Morris is a well liked & experienced club pro, with good young assistants. The club seem to be very competitive in team golf, and have produced a few good pros and plus-handicap amateurs in the last 10 or 20 years.

Thumbs up from me.

No affiliation with the club whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

I'd be a fan of Newlands. It's a long established club, with a well looked after course. Some relations of mine (now in their 80s) were very long-term members and loved the place.

The greens have only ever been good when I was there, and while the course itself is a little bit unremarkable (comparable to Headfort Old or Royal Tara), it's not bad.

The club house is good, and a nice size. The practice greens are good and even though the range may be short, it's ideal for short and mid-irons practice with your own golf balls, and right beside the club house / first tee, so not a big treck to get a warm up in (a-la Milltown).

Karl Morris is a well liked & experienced club pro, with good young assistants. The club seem to be very competitive in team golf, and have produced a few good pros and plus-handicap amateurs in the last 10 or 20 years.

Thumbs up from me.

No affiliation with the club whatsoever.

Great review. I think its Karl O'Donnell that is the pro up there though. I have only played it once and would echo your thoughts on the course.

• Advertisement

ArielAtom wrote: »
    Great review. I think its Karl O'Donnell that is the pro up there though. I have only played it once and would echo your thoughts on the course.

Sorry, yeah. Morris is the mind coach guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭madds

Karl Morris is a well liked & experienced club pro, with good young assistants.

Karl O'Donnell, but I'm sure you know that.
    I wa told there are nets but I didn't see them

The practice nets are towards the back of the car park, very good nets they are too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

At the moment probably in the best condition of any course in Leinster,would not put anyone off joining here

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭scubapro

heavyballs wrote: »
    At the moment probably in the best condition of any course in Leinster,would not put anyone off joining here
    Well except for the 5g joining fee,

At the moment probably in the best condition of any course in Leinster

That you've played?

Deffo sounds like a very good option, very positive reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,054 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I would argue against that, personally. ;)
    But it is a nice course and Karl is a very nice guy.

Probably the best course in Europe. Ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

Probably the best course in Europe. Ever.

maybe you should join,then Newlands would be a lovely course with a SPA aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

I got the overall impression that it's a quality club any time I have played there. I seems they have a great community, it's the kinda place you would invest in with a view to your retirement (albeit not exclusively I'm just saying it has strengths with that in mind). It has a beautiful new clubhouse, really nice staff, good food, nice snooker room, good changing facilities etc.

The course itself is in very very good nic but is not particularly exciting. That said it's a mature course that's easy to get around, I can't see much demand for buggys in Newlands. All in all I would recommend it if the price is right although if it's true that they still require 5k hello money then that could be the real stickler.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Quality older style tight course, no rough to speak of anywhere, issues are trees directiy off the fairway on pretty much every hole. Greens are nice, bunkers are a bit limited, mostly pretty flat greens and basic bunkers that you can putt out of. No protection at front of most holes, just a bunker on each side of the green. A little short and no advantage for the big hitters, more of a work your way around course. If just off the fairway, will be chipping back out, but a bit wider will be on parallel fairway which makes for an easy enough shot itn, but can slow up play as 2 or 3 times a round someone will be on your fairway or one of your group will be waiting for a chance to play from another fairway. One longer par 3 (9) and one long par 4 (17), otherwise all the holes are about keeping in the fairway and hitting to centre of green through the large gap. Very punishing course for the wayward off the tee or in to green though.

Practise area very small and tight, unusable very quickly with 4 or 5 out and in danger of balls coming in from the 9th too. Need your wits about you to practise there.

Handy location and mostly nice people about.

Basically nice course but unremarkable and not worth 5k to join when other nice courses aren't charging that anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 erd

Hi i would just like to let people know of my experience of this golf club. Today i was due to play in newlands when i arrived they had messed up my booking and totally refuse to allow me to play. The pro shop clerk was rude, very unsatisfactory and informed me that they do not make mistakes. I hope this was some help in your decision whether or not to join.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Pauliee

Hi

Was a pavilion member and loved the course but haven't been back since the redesign.

I wanted to join a club and since couldn't justify the joining fee opted for Druid's Heath where I have enjoyed being a member. Now though getting sick of the 30 minute drive especially for golf in the evening and would love to join Newlands(as only 5 minutes drive from my house) now that they have lowered the joining fee.

Can anyone tell me what the subs for the year are.

€1,490 which includes a €200 bar/restaurant levy.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Danny dyers double

Anyone any idea how much it is to join here at present

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Dotzie

5500 joining fee. Can be paid over 5 years plus sub. Other membership options available re under 30's and a new rookie membership available also.
    Anyone any idea how much it is to join here at present

Advertisement